Two Valve Cover Gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Valve Cover Gaskets?

I'm looking to buy a new valve cover gasket for my '82 GS 550 L. I went to bike bandit's site, but there appears to be two different diagrams for the valve cover and two different product numbers for the associated gaskets. The site is am looking at is here: http://www.bikebandit.com/1982-suzuki-gs550lz/o/m6086

What is the difference between the two gaskets?

All the same over here and I doubt they had 2 different types for you guys. Pass on what's happening in that fische.

Part number I've got is 11173-47003.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Depends on engine number, either 16 or 17 bolt holes I think.

The real gaskets are re-usable and much nicer for 10 bucks more:

Comment

Loki has it right, there are two different heads for the 550 (and 650) in 82.
        The early model uses 16 bolts while the later revision had 17.

They are NOT interchangeable. Please take time to recognize difference.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look under tank from front at the cam chain area. If there is a bolt on that front cam chain area it is the later version with 17 bolts. I believe that the early version tends to leak a little bit from front and Suzuki revised them over the course of a year in several models to stem the leaks. The heads are interchangeable with the same internal parts.

Comment

Ah yes, thanks. Mine is definitely the 16 hole type as it leaks like crazy out of that cam chain area.
          Loki, what is the difference in the Real gaskets? What makes them reusable?

Comment

Originally posted by amontyg View Post
            Check out this thread.
            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Realgaskets are great, but not on a 550. The tach drive is in the valve cover, not the head, the Realgasket is too thick, so the tach drive worm gear does not engage the camshaft correctly.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by amontyg View Post
                Ah yes, thanks. Mine is definitely the 16 hole type as it leaks like crazy out of that cam chain area.

Made of silicone. I have not had an issue with the tach gear, it engages just fine. In seeing pictures of others real gaskets on here mine appears thinner, so i'm assuming they have the problem figured out. I'll get a pic of it installed up in a bit.

Comment

Bolts are about 1/4 turn past snug.

Comment

Working...
                  X