Starter binding....I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter binding....I think

Okay I got allot going on here so bear with me.......

1981 GS1100 engine......apparently the are at least two different gear styles for the starter gear......for lack of a better term a fine tooth and a not fine tooth.....
    I have a 1981 engine with a mystery starter and two sets of gears that the starter engages too......
    I have a fine tooth starter(for lack of a better term) and the proper gear for the starter (in the stator cover) for the starter.......
    however the starter will not turn over the engine and it just seems to be binding or not having the power to turn over the engine...........
    Power source is good and starter will spin freely if I remove it from the engine but will not turn the engine over.......and yes the engine turns over properly.....with the plugs in or removed.

I know there are a million variables here but I guess I am trying to figure out if I have the wrong starter.....starter gear......crank......combo........I need some serious help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the battery volts static and under load.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Did you ever figure out the issue? My 851150e does the same thing. Frustrating!

Comment

In most cases it's either a bad battery, poor ground or power connection or a bad starter motor.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
        X