questions about crack in case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about crack in case

It is cracked where one of the ignition cover bolts inserts. hopefully this is nothing to be concerned about except that it won't hold the bolt. The two that are left are the two on top and had it held on pretty good. any suggestions on a fix?

Thx

cosmetic only.
    purchase a bolt thats threaded all the way up and make a stud..JB weld/epoxy it in and use a nut.
    or...
    just run 2 bolts/screws.

Comment

There is also liquid metal if I recall. A machinist once told me about this as he tried to sell me his ninja. I never researched it though.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Ditto above or fill the thread with plastic steel (or whatever you guys have that's the same) and tap a new thread.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

great! thanks for all ideas. As mentioned it was on there pretty good as it was and when I got it off i realized that it was just for the cover. think i will just lock-tite the other two and make sure they don't vibrate loose.
          thx again.

Comment

Not merely cosmetic in my opinion..theres a gasket there to keep water and moisture out of the electronics.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There's also a vent underneath to let the water back out. It does not need to be sealed perfectly, unless you are riding in water deeper than the cover is high. I would stop drill the crack so it can't migrate to the crankshaft area where it becomes an oil leak, fill the bolt hole with that liquid metal or similar and tap new threads in it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

hmmm. There was no gasket there and no mention of one in clymer manual or fisch on partshark.com. I will have to check a little more.

Comment

They come with a paper gasket, but it doesn't really matter. Unless it's deep water you are riding through.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I had the same think on my black 83 motor and just used JB-Weld and tapped it for the bolt.
                    Ran like a champ.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X