Clutch shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch shudder

I just spent the better part of the morning doing an advanced search of the tech threads and learned a lot about GS clutches. Unfortunately my problem remains in that much larger body of knowledge--things I still don't know about GS clutches.

My 83 1100E; a little over 19,000 miles. When letting out on the clutch from stopped there is a sort of shudder right at the engagement point. It goes away as the clutch is further released. Otherwise everything works fine; no problems shifting, no problems slipping under power, no problems at all once rolling; no problems downshifting. I checked the chain & sprockets and rear wheel but nothing out of line there.

I just started noticing it 3-4 weeks ago. It feels a little like when you accidentally leave it in a high gear and try to take off. But it does not make any difference how much throttle you have on or how gradually you release the lever; when the clutch initially engages there is a shudder.

I might as well replace the clutch disks and springs; they are about the only remaining non-engine component I haven't replaced in the last three years. But I'm not sure that would resolve this problem. Anyone else experience this?
    Last edited by dpep; 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Count your plates and fibers while you're in there and make sure some ass hat didn't put an extra plate pack in it. That'll ruin your basket.

Comment

1983 only had steel backed/extra plate fibers similar to barnett.
      these will groove the basket just like a barnett.
      check for grooving.

suzuki f ed up but just for 83.
      they went back to the 80-82 plates on the 1150's.
      hmmmm

Comment

I wanted to thank you all for your responses and deliver the postmortem. My good friend Earl has come to my rescue with a new clutch basket he happened to have on hand. The cause of the clutch basket damage was the loose nut (in the clutch, not the one between the seat and handlebars). From the searching I did before this thread that seems to be a pretty common problem.

It still has the original one-too-many plate set but my riding style doesn't punish a clutch. (no drag races). I think I will be okay.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I have an '82 GS1100E and am experiencing the same problem.
          Most annoying! Haven't decided how I'm going to tackle it yet,
          wished I had a friend named Earl with a new clutch basket.
          Did you say that the loose nut damaged your basket? or would it
          simply be a matter of tightening the nut?
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I tried to file mine out after a Barnett kit chewed on it for a few thousand miles. Its a compromise and Id like a new one. I have APE discs and they get sticky when its hot. I also have a tendency to engine brake. That might be a little hard on the clutch parts.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I have the same problem on my '78 GS1000 and was considering a thread. It's recently overhauled and has a new clutch basket, hub, and pressure plate. I installed new suzuki steels and vesra frictions and springs. I need to pull the cover and see what's going on. Makes smooth take-offs difficult at best and is becoming very anoying.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                I need to pull the cover and see what's going on. Makes smooth take-offs difficult at best and is becoming very anoying.
                I know what you mean about smooth take-offs being difficult, you always
                end up giving more gas because it seems like it wants to stall. On my 1100 it's worse when it's just started up, as it warms up it becomes less noticeable, but my '79 GS1000E clutch is as smooth as silk.
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

Exactly the same problem here on my '83 GS1100. I tore down the clutch this weekend and to my suprise i found 10 frictions and 11 steels!!! (including the steel retained by piano wire in the hub). Upon inspection the clutch basket is grooved like the picture posted above (albeit a little more severely, similar depth-per-groove but more grooves).

I reassembled everything as per the manual, including the mystery shim, snugged the hub nut to 45 lb-ft with locktite but the "chatter" remains.

-Zander

Comment

I rode my GS1100E today and the problem is definitely more noticeable when first started up, once it reaches operating temperature the problem
                    deminishes. At this point it's only an annoyance, otherwise the bike runs fine. At the end of the riding day, it's very minimal, like it's working itself out, but the next day, after I start it up, there it is, very noticeable.
                    sigpic
                    Steve

Comment

Steve, you need to take it apart and inspect the clutch. no sense putting up with it...
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        Steve, you need to take it apart and inspect the clutch. no sense putting up with it...
                        My fix for the 1100 today is to ride the GS1000!
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X