No announcement yet.

gs1100e cases gasket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the real question at hand should be what has caused the leak. The engine was rebuilt three years ago , has probably 300 miles on rebuild but did sit for two years. The block was purchased separate from cases and head. I've heard that blocks take time to marry with new cases and heads. And a final thought , the bike had a bad Petcock that has since been replaced, what is the possibility of gasoline overflowing into engine and deluting oil causing leaks everywhere. None the less going to replace gaskets as i see fit , just don't want to run into this again.

Comment

Block marry with the case? - if someone hands you an anthropomorphic line like that, just walk away. Stupidist thing I've ever heard. If it fits and is not warped, it's ready to go.

Who told you that?

Most likely the result of cheap gaskets. Be sure you use genuine Suzuki gaskets when you reassemble the motor

Yes, a leaky petcock will fill the lower cases with gas and dilute the oil. That could result in leaks or engine damage
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

My buddy had a v65 done up and had the hardest time with heads leaking. They tried milling on block and head and was told that they need time to "marry". I laughed myself. I haven't been able to find any threads on splitting cases. Is there anything I need to look for or do in the process or is it strait forward. I've also already purchased a cosmetic gasket set. Would it be a bad idea to use this?

Comment

Go to Basscliff's site and download a service manual to guide you through the process

Do a Search here on Cometic, there's been some bad experiences with them
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X