annoying rattle , anyone recognise it please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

annoying rattle , anyone recognise it please

Hi there as posted before, i have this rattle that goes away when revved up, i have attached a video so you can here it , is it starter clutch rattle ? thanks in advance jon.

Any ideas ?

sounds like camchain to me, check your tensioner is working ok
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks , its strange that the noise went away straight after a filter and oil chnge this week , but after i came home on her and re-fired her up it started again, anyway if its just that i,ll have a look, is there any specific proceedure for cam chain adjustment ? cheers again

Comment

firstly, take it off, strip it and clean it and check for any wear or damage.
        to refit, undo the lock nut and push the plunger in while turning the knurled nut as well, then tighten lock nut. refit tensioner, then crack off locknut so plunger extends and tightens chain. screw in locknut by hand until tight then back off 1/4 turn and secure. tensioner should be set correctly now
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          to refit, undo the lock nut and push the plunger in while turning the knurled nut as well, then tighten lock nut. refit tensioner, then crack off locknut so plunger extends and tightens chain. screw in locknut by hand until tight then back off 1/4 turn and secure. tensioner should be set correctly now
          Or I'm pretty sure BassCliff has a tutorial How to on his website

Comment

So !! The general opinion is that this is cam chain rattle , spose thats right as when the revs increase it would disappear !! UUHHMMMM . When the carbs come off for rebuild soon then would be a good time eh ?

Comment

tensioner is fairly easy to remove, even with the carbs in place
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

This is what "damage" can look like:

This is what it looks like after grinding and light polishing:

tensioner is fairly easy to remove, even with the carbs in place
                You know, it is rather easy, but only if you have an 850, 1000 or 1100.

On a 650, you HAVE to remove the carbs.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

any more digs at me steve? just trying to help
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    This is what "damage" can look like:

This is what it looks like after grinding and light polishing:

On a 650, you HAVE to remove the carbs.

Haha! Ohhhh yeah.....the 650 is a pain!

Everything is easy to work on....except the damn Carbs gotta come out for EVERYTHING!

Comment

yeh ha ha ha, just bee out having a look and yep !! the carbs need to come off to do that, luckily they are this week hopefully, o rings, intake o rings and allen headed screws on their way now...

Comment

I have a feeling its not cam chain related but more cam or crank related because of how low the frequency of the knock is.
                        I say this because you can still hear the wizzing of the cam chain and it isn't affected by the knocking.

Sounds like one of the cam shafts has allot of end play.

Only way to find out though is to take the valve cover off and see how much play there is.

And at the same time you could see if you have slack in the cam chain that would point you towards the cam tensioner.

New oil might have allowed more pressure to reach the cam and dampen the knocking because the oil would be running out of the cam journal in the same place that the cam would be knocking.

Reving the engine would result in more oil pressure as well.
                        Last edited by Mekanix; 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM.
                        Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

**** !!!!!!! your the profit of doom !! hell, i hope not, but yeh once the tanks off it might aswell to whip the rocker cover off and have a look, thanks for that

Comment

I'm another who thinks that isn't cam chain as the frequency is too low. I think you're going to have to do some searching but it's all good maintenance stuff anyway.

I would:
                            remove carbs / cam chain tensioner.

Lift the cam cover and have a look. Check the valve clearances while you're in there.

Pull the clutch cover. That's not the normal clutch noise but it did remind me of the noise a clutch can make if it's catching on the kickstart mechanism. You haven't got a kickstart but the clutch might be catching on something. Easy to remove the clutch while it's on the bike and have a look at the gear change forks and pawls etc.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by janner View Post
                              **** !!!!!!! your the profit of doom !! hell, i hope not, but yeh once the tanks off it might aswell to whip the rocker cover off and have a look, thanks for that
                              Sorry to confirm the "profit of doom's" diagnosis, but you definitely have cam walk!

You can just ignore it, or if the noise drives you crazy, just visit Base Cliff's site for the necessary machining procedure to cure it.

I was the first to do this mod, so you can PM me for more info if you need to.
                              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X