No announcement yet.

annoying rattle , anyone recognise it please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh i done all that and there is no feedback through the lever at all, totally smooth action , started it again and ran it up an hour ago and still very quiet and disappears completely when hot..

Comment

Originally posted by janner View Post
      Yeh i done all that and there is no feedback through the lever at all, totally smooth action , started it again and ran it up an hour ago and still very quiet and disappears completely when hot..
      It's definitely cam walk.

There are others on this forum who have done this machining. Hopefully, one of them will listen to your clip and confirm that you have cam walk!

I was skeptical too until I removed the cam chain and slid the cams sideways back and forward against the thrust rings. The sound I got was identical to the knock I was hearing, but with less magnitude because the cam cover was removed.

I can appreciate your skepticism on this, as you are receiving a lot of contradictory information.

Keep riding it. If I'm right, the sound will still be there in 6 months or even 6 years time, and no further damage will have been done to the engine.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

The thing I can't square with the cam end float noise is that it only makes that noise when cold and it disappears when hot. That's the other way round to norm.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yeh , thats whats bothering me, tried it again tonight before i came in from the worshop just to let a biker mate of mine have a listen over the phone, i told him to listen for it 2/3 minutes , after start up and then listen again when its at full temp , and sure enough it came and went again, so to be honest i think i,ll get the carbs done and take out the tensioner and refurb that and re-set it and who knows, it might even sort the problem out as that would stop a lot of lash too, we,ll see, as for the fuel tap , it think it would be wise to fit a new pet cock while doing everything else too, cheers jon

Also, ive been offered a low mileage gs650gt head and with tight cams for Ł195 plus postage, what you reckon, its off a breaker on ebay
          And what is the measurements to check for on end float, i mean what is the float allowed to be
          Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I don't think Suzuki give a figure but Ian reckons 0.0015 in (and he sorted it).

have you got a link to the Ebay item. There's one or two dodgy breakers we know out there.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

he,s the seller, says he has a gs650gt head , tight cams and low miles, i asked what miles but no answer yet, jon

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3#ht_640wt_905

he,s the seller, says he has a gs650gt head , tight cams and low miles, i asked what miles but no answer yet, jon
                Sent you a pm Jon.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  The thing I can't square with the cam end float noise is that it only makes that noise when cold and it disappears when hot. That's the other way round to norm.
                  I never noticed it when the engine was cold, unless I left the bike on the side stand the last time I parked it.

I believe it's related to excessive cam bearing clearances, and the viscosity of the oil at idle. I never noticed the noise directly after hammering the engine. I could stop and no audible knocks for some time until the engine cooled or the oil viscosity/pressure dropped.
                  :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

My GS650E had exactly the same noise when cold. Since I had to remove head for gasket, I had to take the cam chain tensionner off, When I replaced everything and adjust properly noise was gone. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

André

Comment

Not a cam walk, not a tensioner. It is a single noisy cam chain link, going over the two sprockets. Listen to the timing of it, click, click,,,,,,,,,,,click, click,,,,,,,,,,click, click,,,,,,,,,,click, click, once every several crankshaft revolutions as the chain link goes around. The noise will be there for a while then go away for a while, usually it's only with a hot engine, and only at idle. You can't hear it at any higher RPM. I have heard this on two previous GS engines, one an early 750, the other I think was a 550. Both are still running fine, and have not failed. You couldn't see or feel any damage to any one link when the tension was loosened, no kinking or anything. If you run the engine at a slow idle with the valve cover off the cause of the sound is very obvious. We put a spot of paint on one link, the timing of the noise is perfect, the same link was making the noise every time around.
                      Last edited by tkent02; 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hell allof these theories are sounding honourable too, i guess when the carbs come off and i can have a look at the tensioner it might as well be a good idea to take the cam cover off and have a look inside and take some details , this is one hell of a forum , cheers guys..respect

Comment

Hell allof these theories are sounding honourable too, i guess when the carbs come off and i can have a look at the tensioner it might as well be a good idea to take the cam cover off and have a look inside and take some details , this is one hell of a forum , cheers guys..respect
                          It's hard to run the engine with the carbs off.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            It's hard to run the engine with the carbs off.
                            Almost impossible right?
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Where did I mention I was going to run the engine ???? read the post again, it states. "when the carbs come off and i can have a look at the tensioner it might as well be a good idea to take the cam cover off and have a look inside and take some details" unquote !! I mean't take measurements of cam end float, cam chain condition and wear etc etc.....Strewth

Comment

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

Comment

Working...
                                X