help 85 gs 700e wont idle/run under 2500 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help 85 gs 700e wont idle/run under 2500 rpm

700e will not run right under 2500 . you can get it to idle down to 1000 but then it surges up and down between 1000 and 3000 . will not run at all under 1000 . I have just pulled my valve cover and checked all the valves they are all at .003 and you need to wiggle in the gauge specs say .003 to .005 could they be too tight ? . I do not know if they have ever been adjusted before bike has 25k . If the issue is not the valves then is it the carbs ? I rode it all last summer but it has never idled right or realy ran all that great in the low rpms runs decent at 30 and above . I have not cleaned the carbs the valve adjust seemed a little less intimidating so tried that first . Just looking for some help on getting on to my next step Thanks

Start by cleaning the carbs, A good carb sync, starting with a mechanical sync off the bike will probably fix your problem

Comment

Hi,

Everything starts with clean carbs. There are a few other maintenance items that you may need to look into. Have another look at your "mega-welcome". You'll find a couple of lists of things to check, clean, repair, replace, etc. It's a 30 year old bike and needs some love.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Check the rubber manifolds the carbs mount to. The o-rings between manifolds and head cold be shot too.

Comment

gs 700 not idling

Hi I just ordered new orings for the carbs including the intake ones . Boots are good . Also got the fastener kit from cycleorings . I plan to give them a solid cleaning and replace the orings and hopefully I can get them tuned right . I have never done any of this before . The only carb I have rebuilt was on my torino and upon ignition (literally) the next thing I heard was my son hollering dad its on fire that carbs on the shelf . Thanks for the input

Comment

Hi,

Please don't let your first carb rebuilding experience deter you. The GS carb rebuild series is a step-by-step pictorial guide that is easy to follow. Keep everything orgainzed. Some folks use egg cartons or tupperware to keep all of the parts for each carb separate. Take pictures as you go to aid in reassembly. We're here if you have any questions.

It will probably be a little tricky getting the carbs out of your bike. Loosen the airbox and slide it back as far as possible to give you room to wiggle the carbs out. Have fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X