Clutch stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch stuck?

This is my first post, as I just hauled home a 1978 gs 750 last night. It has not ran since 1995. It seems to be stuck in gear. The back tire rotates a little, then locks up. The clutch lever will not budge. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Mike

It sounds like the clutch cable is stuck -- very common on bikes that sit.

Fortunately, clutch cables are relatively cheap.

Did you get the big old welcome from Basscliff yet? Somewhere in there is a checklist of all the other stuff you'll need to do.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Before you do anything take the spark plugs out and spray some WD40 down the holes and turn the engine over but hand using a 19mm spanner on the right hand end of the crank. (behind the points cover) Check oil, spark and compression(stick finger over plug holes) then install new plugs and start your new toy hopefully. If clutch cable ok you might have to rock the bike back and forth with it in gear. Failing that take cover off and undo the 6 bolts holding the clutch together to check the plates. Put everything back in place EXACTLY. see how you go now. enjoy

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I will try what you suggested and report back. I am in this for the long haul. I signed on for an adventure, not just a vehicle. I have no doubt that I will need a lot of help with this project. I did find the link to Basscliff. looks like an awesome resource, and still just a part of everything that is available on and through The GSResource.com! Thanks for a truly great source of knowledge and support!

Mike

Comment

Have you tried taking it out of gear?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Proabable issue is a corroded siezed clutch cable. Second probable cause is "fused" clutch plates. Disconnect the clutch cable at the arm on the engine and isolate which component is bad.

Comment

Hey welcome to our little Nuthouse! Always like to see another MN rider, even if you may be from way down south, there's a lot of rural MN (won't hold that against you, there are others in your predicament). BassCliff will be giving you a mega welcome shortly, even though you've found his page already it sounds like. Have fun getting that bike back on the road, it's only been sitting and seizing up since '95? Guess that makes 16 years od NO mileage....

Comment

Is that the POS that was on Craigslist for $200 ?

"Oh.......Its a chick magnet too". Not sure I want to see those chicks http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...355049559.html

Might be a diamond in the rough. You will have to take it apart. Pull the carbs and take a look under the clutch cover to start.

Welcome ! Where R U ?
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Chick magnet?
                  Oh, no! Not more of them.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I live in Stacy, so there is a lot of MN below me.
                    Here is my new time/money pig:

It was listed on Craig's list for $250, I got it for$200. I have a Clymer manual coming, I will keep spraying Deep Creep and gently persuading these allegedly "moving parts". It would be nice to be able to roll the bike around, and it would be as easy as grinding off the chain, but I also want to use that to know when I finally get it in neutral. I did hook up a battery to it and got the low oil pressure light (nothing else, but at least no smoke!). I am considering starting a rebuild thread...

Mike

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. snyderman,

Sorry I'm late to the party.

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by snyderman View Post
                        I live in Stacy, so there is a lot of MN below me.
                        Here is my new time/money pig:
                        [ATTACH]13129[/ATTACH]
                        It was listed on Craig's list for $250, I got it for$200. I have a Clymer manual coming, I will keep spraying Deep Creep and gently persuading these allegedly "moving parts". It would be nice to be able to roll the bike around, and it would be as easy as grinding off the chain, but I also want to use that to know when I finally get it in neutral. I did hook up a battery to it and got the low oil pressure light (nothing else, but at least no smoke!). I am considering starting a rebuild thread...

Mike
                        Just douche the whole bike with PB Blaster, especially the exhaust studs sounds like you are going to need it.... If the siezed bolts don't drive you insane, the corroded electrical components (peticulary, inside the headlight housing) will ! LOL

Comment

Thanks Basscliff for the great welcome. It will take me awhile to digest all that info!

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                            Proabable issue is a corroded siezed clutch cable. Second probable cause is "fused" clutch plates. Disconnect the clutch cable at the arm on the engine and isolate which component is bad.

It looks like the answer is both! The cable is definitely locked up. I disconnected it and I can move the clutch lever on the motor, but the clutch does not disengage. I can get the bike in neutral or in gear by moving the shifter, but moving the clutch lever gets me nothing. Looks like I need to tear into that next. I did a bit of searching, but did not find a tutorial on clutch teardown. Is there one?

Comment

Mike

Before you tear into the clutch itself (right side) look at the left side of the motor where the clutch cable attaches

Pull off the small cover right where the cable goes in. See the locknut? Loosen that. Now, take off the larger cover this sits in and turn it over. There's the mechanism that turns the cable movement into clutch disengagement.

See if you can move the mechanism If not, Deep Creep everything, after it sits, disassemble the mechanism, clean and grease.

Lube your clutch cable and that part is done. If the clutch is still stuck, take off the clutch cover, the plates are probably stuck together

Rural MN? I thought you were going to say Frazee
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X