No announcement yet.

Clutch stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can move the mechanism (the lever inside the motor that the cable connects to), that does not dissengage the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Pull off the small cover right where the cable goes in. See the locknut? Loosen that. Now, take off the larger cover this sits in and turn it over. There's the mechanism that turns the cable movement into clutch disengagement.
      I need to clarify this Sorry for the lousy pic. But are you saying that I can remove the large cover with the red arrow in it? It looks like I need to remove the lever and the piece that is behind it. Please forgive my ignorance, I don't even know what to call that piece.

Comment

Yes, that is the sprocket cover and you can remove it by undoing the six or so screws around the edge of it.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks! What do I need to remove before I can remove that cover? The lever that the cable attaches to? That round piece behind the lever?

Comment

You'll need to remove your gear shift lever (has a circlip around the back bolt); pay very close attention to the orientation of that lever so you put it back on right. Pictures will do you lots of good so take them.

If you want to remove that cover completely in order to paint or to place it somewhere while changing then yes, remove the clutch cable from inside of it, paying attention to the orientation of the little worm gear like device.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The advice from Cowboy is correct.

However, the clutch is on the other side of the bike (just to clarify)
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Oops, sorry Big T. I didn't see what kind of bike he had. I was thinking of my 550.

Hey Snyder, put your bike info in your signature block so it helps people like me who need new glasses.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

[QUOTE=
                  Hey Snyder, put your bike info in your signature block so it helps people like me who need new glasses.[/QUOTE]

Will do! But that brings up another question. The title on my bike lists it as a 1978 gs750rs. I have done a bit of searching, but have not found any documentation of this exact number. Ring any bells?

Comment

I did a little research, and I am pretty sure that what I have is a 1978 GS750C
                    because of the spoke wheels mainly.

Comment

So I removed the cover where my clutch cable enters the engine. The mechanism with the three steel balls was froze up, so I cleaned it up and now it works. What would be good to use as lubrication for this? I tried to push in the rod that this thing moves to activate the clutch, but it won't budge. I gave it a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet, still no movement. How hard should I try to free it up this way, from this side? I am thinking it will be easier to take the plates apart if I can get some movement. I stripped the head of the last screw on the clutch cover, so as soon as I get that off I will be going in the other side. Any advice?

Thanks,

Comment

You're on the right track, but stop beating the push rod

Finish fixing the mechanism and grease it (doesn't it have a grease fitting on it?)

Reinstall it and make sure the cable is hooked up. The cable slides, right?

Try it out and see if the clutch works now
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Special tools for clutch removal

My manual says I need a special "rotor holder" tool when I loosen the governor center bolt and rotor center bolt. Also a "clutch hub holder" to draw out the hub. Is this true? Where can I get these tools? I am still working on a stripped head on the clutch cover, so I have not had a look inside yet.

Thanks,

Comment

Hmm,

What happened when you reinstalled and adjusted the clutch actuator?
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Finish fixing the mechanism and grease it (doesn't it have a grease fitting on it?)
                              Mine has no grease fitting. This is the clutch release assembly. is there a good lube for this?

Reinstall it and make sure the cable is hooked up. The cable slides, right?
                              My cable is hopelessly froze up. I ordered a new one. Meantime I did remove the right hand clutch cover. I weas pleasantly surprised at how good the engine looks on the inside! The clutch plates are well within spec. I do need new springs. I did not remove the big nut with the bent washer keeper. This big nut is not really torqued down (I can wiggle it, it is held by the bent washer.) Is that a problem? Should I bend the washer out of the way, tighten the nut, and re-bend the washer? As long as I am in there should I tear into this further?

Comment

Working...
                              X