Newb with a few ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb with a few ?'s

Hello my name is Adam and I'm knew to the forum. I just traded my 73 Chevy Truck for a 80 GS1000 L. This is my first bike so I am learning. I know my way around autos pretty well so the bike seems a bit similar in some aspects. The bike overall seems to be in good shape. It sat for nine years so there is definitely some maintenance to be done. It starts but only runs on choke so I'm going to go through the carb. Probably gummed up. There is a slight oil leak seems like its coming from oil pan right behind headers. My main concern is the trans. The bike wont run but when I put it in nuetral I can feel it when I bump into first. But all the gears after first just dont feel like they engage. I dont feel the click that I feel when I bump into first. Is this normal or do I have a problem? Look forward to hearing from you guys. This site seems like a great resource. Thanks Adam

Welcome to the forum. In reality, you'll need the bike running to shift between all of the gears so don't worry about that yet. Take your carbs completely off and strip them down. Soak each carb body and the jets (NO RUBBER PIECES) in a can of Berryman's carb cleaner for 24 hours each NO SHORTCUTS. Get new orings from www.cycleorings.com since the owner is a member here and really looks out for us.

Basscliff will be along later to give you the official welcome that includes a laundry list of maintenance things. Trust that list and you'll be happy with your bike for awhile to come.

A couple of other tips...put your location in your profile in case someone is close to you to help and throw your bike info in your signature so you aren't asked a million times later on.

Again, welcome.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 05-08-2011, 11:24 AM. Reason: Wasn't awake earlier and couldn't spell
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Great! Thanks for the tips. I visited basscliffs site and it awesome. This is definately the best forum I have ever joined. Im very excited to get my bike together. By the way I'm in Dayton, OH. Ill update that with a few pics of my bike as well.

Comment

There are several very helpful members in Dayton such as Steve and Cafe Kid. You are lucky to live so close to guys like this that can offer you advise.

Good luck and welcome.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. gs1000emt,

Yeah, you really should be rolling in order to shift through all the gears. It sounds like you're going to have to roll up your sleeves and give your bike some TLC. Let's get started.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X