No announcement yet.

850gs how to set timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to throw another spanner into the works -- check that the sprockets have not been removed from the cams and put back 180 degrees out of whack.

See Nessism's first picture of timing setup. The two notches in the camshafts should be facing each other when #1 arrow is horizontal with the head/cylinder joint.

Comment

o guys ,, did the transplant of ig parts, it showed the exh cam out 1 tooth , set it redone the tmming 3 times ,(just to make sure i was right on,) and i was, but still didnt help the issues,
      still running 65 psi in @ 2 cyl and rest running the same\
      so i will say the engne needs more work,
      by the way this bike has sit for 3 years in a garage dry,
      have got it to run but very badly #1 & #2 miss and backfires sometimes severly so i would say this motor needs help,
      it maybe more than what i intend to spend, the spare motor is an unknown peice out of a wreck ?
      but i will look into this alittle more may see what they charge to valve job the head ? check for bent valves??
      thanks everyone its really appreciated

Comment

i dono about the type of ig they are theyre just totaly diffrent!
        the one on the bike has a recessed ig plate with a washer on the crank bolt, and a
        extended flat spot then marks for f a line then the letter t
        on the spare motor, it has exposed ig plate no washer on the crank nut only a flate extended and has another plate behind it with springs and the alignment f - t
        i will get some pic in here tommorrow and show what i have going on
        thanks everyone

Comment

As far as the compression goes, have you adjusted the valves?

Since the motor sat for 3 yrs, you can probably run it and see if the compression comes up on #2 - might be some stuck rings
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

hi guys , update on my issues..
            after rechecking timming,i tryied to see what the valve lash was,
            sounds stupid couldnt find a feeler gauge that goes down to the .003- .008 range , so i lossened the cam caps just to see if the compression would go up?
            well id diff did , by a lot!! my worse cyl went from 60 to 120#
            my best was 105 went to 120+ overall the diff between my lowest and my best was 5 #
            i know this is not the way to go at this , but it show me what is wrong
            so now i have to fig how to come up with the correct shims ?
            and get the correct feeler gauge !!

Comment

Working...
            X