ut oh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ut oh...

I think im ready to throw in the towel on my 78 GS1000C. It has run into some serious mechanical problems... cyl#3 not holding compression due to blowby on the spark plug ( I'm guessing the previous owner stripped it, tried to fix it, but failed.)
    The place that has the bike right now wants over $900 to install a heli-coil...

Does this sound reasonable? i understand that the heli needs to be installed on the underside of the head... but $900? Really?!

I'm at a loss for words today... It really feels like one thing after another with this bike. I'm at the point now though of, do i keep going, considering that I've replaced many major parts? Do I fix it and have it done? After all, I've only really invested about $1200-1300 including the initial purchase of the bike... another $900 on top of that would end up bringing the value up by at least that... NADA.COM shows the bikes value at $2500-5000 depending on restored condition... but seriously, how many people actually will pay $5000 for an antique?

I guess i just need some direction.

Not to mention the base gasket is leaking, but that would need to be replaced when the head comes off anyways... He warned me that the old engines like this one warp together with age. heating, cooling, heating, cooling, etc... Has anyone else had this problem with brand new base gaskets leaking shortly after being installed?

Comment

Try one of these: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=978103_0_0_

If that fails, find another cylinder head either here or on Ebay.

Daniel

Comment

That's what they want to put in, needs to be installed from the underside of the head....

Comment

Not true!
          Make sure that the valves are closed and the piston is down before carefully re-threading with the tool.
          Blow out any loose dirt around the spark plug hole before threading and into the chamber after threading.

And use RED Lock-tite to secure the insert, allow to dry over-night.

Daniel

Comment

Forgive my lack of experience with this, but, isn't that area too hot for lock-tite?

Comment

Fixing a spark plug thread is easy work. No need to pull the head or anything. You don't want to use a helicoil, they tend to pull loose when removing the plugs. Get a solid insert thread repair kit commonly available at auto parts stores. They are easy to install and as long as you grease up the drill bit and tap while you are working most of the chips will be captured (and a few random chips won't hurt the engine any).

You have an old bike that is going to need work on an ongoing basis. I strongly suggest you learn to do the work or sell the bike and get something newer. Paying some monkey to work on the bike is a loosing proposition.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I could replace the whole engine with a good used e-bay special for $900. I can and have bought a complete parts bike with an engine needing minor repairs for $275.00. Fire your mechanic. He'll suck up that $900.00 and want $400.00 more for some other easy piddling little repair job. He looks at your bike and sees $ signs and easy money.

Comment

Napa also sells a spark plug thread reapir kit. As mentioned before, all you do is make sure the piston is down..retap the head with the supplied tap..locktite the insert and install it in the head. I did the cylinder on my 1000 c in about half an hour.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck,
                    Have you had any issues with it yet?

Comment

If you really want to do the job right find someone with a Time-sert kit. These are solid inserts that are expanded and locked into the head by mechanical means. You Tube has tons of videos on how to install this type of insert. Only problem is the installation tools are not cheap...about $150 (I think).
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by 78GS1KNH View Post
                        Not to mention the base gasket is leaking, but that would need to be replaced when the head comes off anyways... He warned me that the old engines like this one warp together with age. heating, cooling, heating, cooling, etc... Has anyone else had this problem with brand new base gaskets leaking shortly after being installed?
                        Besides the warping being bogus, I'm confused

Did you already install a new base gasket, or are you thinking it will continue to leak if you do replace it

The base gasket leaks because it's old and has lost it's ability to do its job. It's often the "O" rings that leak, the rubber gets hard after 30 years.

I agree, your mechanic just sees you as dollar signs. Tearing down the top end of a GS 1000 motor is pretty easy if you have any wrenching experience. If not, now is a good time to learn. It will cost $300-500 for parts. a head gasket alone is over $100.

If you take the head off, you can take it to a machinist and get the plug hole fixed properly
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Does this sound reasonable? i understand that the heli needs to be installed on the underside of the head... but $900? Really?!
                          Not reasonable at all, it's a rip... You could do a complete top end rebuild for less than that.

After all, I've only really invested about $1200-1300 including the initial purchase of the bike... another $900 on top of that would end up bringing the value up by at least that...
                          The bike's value has nothing to do with what you have spent on it.

I guess i just need some direction.
                          Learn to do the work yourself or sell it to one of us. If you can't, get a newer bike, they are better for most folks anyway.

After all, I've only really invested about $1200-1300 including the initial purchase of the bike.
                          No, you've spent $1200- $1300, huge difference. Maybe you've wasted $1200-$1300, it depends on what you do next.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          If you really want to do the job right find someone with a Time-sert kit. These are solid inserts that are expanded and locked into the head by mechanical means. You Tube has tons of videos on how to install this type of insert. Only problem is the installation tools are not cheap...about $150 (I think).
                          That's cheap compared to paying this rip off shop that's got the bike now.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

3500 miles on the repair so far and no probs
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The time-sert kits are expensive, but long run it's by far cheaper then what im looking at... I think i'll be going with it. now- as far as gasket sets go, which brands do people recommended most? I see a complete kit, including valve guide gaskets for dirt cheap off ebay...

Comment

Working...
                              X