Starter clutch 1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch 1100e

I need a starter clutch for my 83 1100 16 valve motor. I can get one from an 80 1100 16 valve motor. The parts numbers are different and I am wondering if it is interchangeable? Anyone know if it will fit?

Originally posted by drewandkellie View Post
    I need a starter clutch for my 83 1100 16 valve motor. I can get one from an 80 1100 16 valve motor. The parts numbers are different and I am wondering if it is interchangeable? Anyone know if it will fit?
    They rotors do not interchangeable. The tapered crank end is larger on the 83 and some 82's. They are called "big end" cranks and are less likely to slip.

I'm pretty sure the starter clutch parts do not interchange either. Generally it is best to just buy a new one unless you can get a good used one. The hub on the main gear wears and between that and the barrels there is only about 0.050" allowable wear before the clutch will slip.

Comment

What's gone with the starter clutch? Have you had it apart yet?

Comment

Bought an 83 gs1100e motor but it has turned out to be pretty crummy. Entire Clutch is missing along with the starter clutch. Head and cylinder have broken fins. And the front crossmount is cracked. I think I'm going to just break it down and sell what ever is useable.

Comment

Yikeee's. Not a good buy.

Comment

I went through all this when I went with an 1150 crank.
            I had to switch out the bearings, spacer, washer and starter gear at the crank. The main part of the clutch that attaches to the rotor with the springs, pins and locking dowels are the same.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have!!! Ray.

Comment

Yep, that engine on ebay looks pretty beat up.

Nic
                83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Working...
                X