850 engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 engine rebuild

Hi guys I am rebuilding the top end of my 850 and have set the pistons to TDC and counted the pins on cam chain, have noticed now though that I have counted the pins from the number 2 mark with the arrow being on a different pin to what is shown in the manual, ie I have put the arrow on the first pin in the link and the book shows it on the 2nd pin. Will it make any difference, I have counted the coorect number of pins before bolting everything down. Cheers

Yes it will..

Comment

Cheers will have to strip it down again then, should stop doing these things when I'm tired really

Comment

I don't think it will make any difference at all. As long as the No. 1 arrow is aligned with the joint line between the cylinders and head and the No. 2 arrow is pointing at a pin in the link and you count 20 pins and align the No. 3 arrow with that then everything should be OK. If there are 20 pins between the No.2 arrow and the No. 3 arrow then the camshafts are in the correct relationship to each other. I had the same problem on my 650 where the diagram in the manual was different to what I was looking at on the motor.

Comment

Ditto what Don says. When you're lining up the number 1 arrow with head make sure that you are looking at it dead square on to avoid parallax error - easy done and could put you one pin out.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
          X