Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shim markings

Doing valve adjustment.

Many of the shims do not have markings but one of the ones that did was marked 255A.

Does the A stand for something?
    1980 GS550L

Hi,

Are you sure it's an "A" and not the lower half of an "X"? I've never seen an "A" marking, but there's a lot I haven't seen.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

hi ,i have 1 spare head and an extra 850 gs motor, the ones i seen all where either x or nothing after, 2.40 ,2.50, 2.55x, 2.60, 2.60x 2.65x
      for some reason i can tell which ones where run on the exhaust side slight discolaration, compared to the intakes, just what i ve seen so far,
      i do not know what under the spare motor as i havent tore it down yet,

Comment

Don't know what an "A" stands for but an "X" stands for a slightly thicker shim size than what is written on the shim. For example, 255x is thicker than a 255 but not as thick as a 260.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
          Doing valve adjustment.

Many of the shims do not have markings but one of the ones that did was marked 255A.

Does the A stand for something?

As Cliff said, look close & it most likely is an "X". The coveted "X" shims are just a wee bit thicker than the number stamped on them, and a wee bit smaller than the next larger standard size shim. They're a "between size" shim.

Get a decent pair of vernier calipers (HF sells a decent digital one) and measure them to verify the actual thickness of them - you may find some with marking that are wrong...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hi, Bad news is you probably have a 29mm shim, if it has an "A" after the size. Kawasaki uses the "A" to indicate a thicker shim, as Suzuki uses the "X" on 29.5mm shims. At least that is what I have seen in a couple instances. Good luck with it. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
              Hi, Bad news is you probably have a 29mm shim, if it has an "A" after the size. Kawasaki uses the "A" to indicate a thicker shim, as Suzuki uses the "X" on 29.5mm shims. At least that is what I have seen in a couple instances. Good luck with it. Ray
              I learn something new every day...
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I've never come across that either. In that case DO NOT put them back in your engine; they stand a chance of being spat out and wrecking the top end.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                  I learn something new every day...
                  Me too! Nice to know.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

replies appreciated

The shim has been there since I bought the bike about 3 years ago.

I will replace it as soon as I can figure out the ones that are not marked.

I have not been able to find my caliper since our recent move. I am going to make a serious effort to find it before I purchase another.

Thanks for the replies.
                    Last edited by goggles; 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
                    1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
                      I have not been able to find my caliper since our recent move. I am going to make a serious effort to find it before I purchase another.
                      Don't bother looking. The QUICKEST way to find yours is to buy another one.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

great minds.....

I think the same way about misplaced tools but wife tends to thinks differently.
                        1980 GS550L

Comment

Working...
                        X