Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs 850 carb issue

ok guys i had to remove the cams and look at what shims where used ,
    the guy who 'rebuilt the bike didnt put the shims back where htey belonged, after measuring them , i got them down to 5 exhaust and 3 on intakes ,,
    ok got the bike compression across the board 125 (1) 115 (2) 125 (3)
    120 (4) ok so we are good there ,
    now i have redone the carbs , but ive had to take then apart couple times over the float seams real high i set them according to the book # but they runneth over, and i cant keep them from doing it
    i also have 1 vacume diiafhram that not working , so have to replace it
    does anyone have a better way of setting floats ? or is there a diffrent way to measure the highth

Try this

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Have you replaced the float valves and seats? I know it's pricey but sometimes that is necessary.

Really? You took the cams off to change the shims? That's way too much work and totally unnecessary. I hope you got the cams timed properly when you reassembled.

I like to run my valve clearances on the loose end of the spec, maybe even a little over. According to factory spec, the range is .03 mm to .08 mm. At my last valve check I put all of my clearances in the .07 mm to .10 mm range. This ensures the valves are in contact with the head, which cools them, the maximum amount of time. It also gives you just a little more grunt at lower revs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

yes it was easier , i tried the zip tie couldnt get the shim out ,
        yes do have it in time bike runs now have trouble with getting the floats set?
        i did print the pages you sent , i will recheck the floats agian ,
        these carbs have been sonic cleaned and a complete cab kit was instahled
        these carbs ad been redone 2 years ago bike never ran so i decided best just to get another kit (130.00) now i know i have 1 diaphram not working , thats easy fix !
        but the floats are aggrivating i reset them 3 times i have put a 'nurse tank on them , independantly with now overflow , but put them on the bike flow out the back of carb??
        im afaid i get them to low then have a starvation issue ?

Comment

Working...
        X