Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had enough

ok evryone , i have had enough ,
    i have ried everything to get this bike to run , now i know im not a motorcyle mech but i can read and fairly understand the measurements and ideas of setting rtimming. floats adj carbs ,
    the issue of bike that will run but runs out of fuel but yet , the floats overrun when sitting i donot understand!!!
    either i run the bike to a professional at a rate of 70 hr which i understand,, but he said may take as much as the bike is worth to fix it ,
    i allready have what i think the bikes is worth just in parts beside the original purchase, so i think the bike will either go to ebay. or the junk yard a loss is a loss

Why not sell it to one of us?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have you gone through the checklist Basscliff gave ya?
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Plenty of forum members in Illinois.
        Perhaps several of them could help?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          Have you gone through the checklist Basscliff gave ya?
          i printed them out me another guy went thru the carbs and relooked at timming and the valves we can get the bike to run but have to put hand over the carb other wise it dies, running the choke doesnt help ,
          i thought the float was then to low , so reset them higher , fuel really came out them , so reset them again using a nurse bottle to reflect a tank , no over flow! yeah got it !! NOPE WRONG , put them on and look they leak out the back DANG IT you can get fired up like that go to 4000 rpm then it will immediatly drop down and die , unless you run youre hand over the carbs, ?
          i know i have 1 diaphram not working , that s not the problem here, ,
          its fuel delivery, or lack thereof,,
          but its unbelievable that i cannot find its happy place

Comment

Originally posted by dennismopar73 View Post
            i printed them out me another guy went thru the carbs and relooked at timming and the valves we can get the bike to run but have to put hand over the carb other wise it dies, running the choke doesnt help ,
            You have the airbox in place on the engine? That's kind of how they run without the airbox.

Comment

or the junk yard
              Which junk yard ?
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                You have the airbox in place on the engine? That's kind of how they run without the airbox.
                no havent put airbox back on ,, if you think it will help ill put it on?

Comment

Yes. And it probably needs a new petcock, too.
                  Last edited by tkent02; 05-22-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

i'll do that soon as i eat my sandwich an get back in the garage ,, let ya know what i get thank you trying to stay positive

Comment

Ummmm... what bike are you trying to fix?

As Tkent says, these will NOT run without the airbox, or with any air leaks.
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

82 850 gs didnt knowq they wouldnt run without air box?

Comment

82 850 gs didnt knowq they wouldnt run without air box?
                          Please forgive me in advance but there are a bazillon threads on the forum about needing the airbox installed before the bike will run right. Please, please, please, help yourself by searching out info on what to do in advance. We'd hate to loose a GS owner just because of a simple problem like this. There are lots of people here to help you but you need to search out the info and do a little homework.

Please check this thread for more info on what to do, and what not to do as well... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846
                          Last edited by Nessism; 05-22-2011, 03:12 PM.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As noted, the bike will not run without the airbox. The carbs need the vacuum to help draw sufficient fuel to run. No airbox = greatly reduced vacuum. Even very tiny leaks in the intake system will cause issues like hard starting or creeping idle.

There are also a bazillion threads about petcocks and fuel dripping from the airbox. Either your petcock is leaking fuel down the vacuum tap through the #2 carb (in which case it needs to be replaced), or it's allowing fuel to run while no vacuum is applied (in which case it needs to be replaced; unless it's not OEM style) and the needle valves in the carbs can't hold it back or are leaking around the seats.

Comment

ok guys reset the fuel bowls the way i used to back in my motorcross days nomore fuel runover
                              also put air box on bike runs but only above 3 grand below it will die,
                              also backfire out the exhaust on the right side only after decell of throttle,
                              also doesnt restart unless it is choked more air leaks??
                              thanks everyone , it does get disheartning ill keep trying !!
                              i think the carbs need to be adj and async

Comment

Working...
                              X