79 gs750 oil pressure light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought the bike. Before first oil change, oil pressure light would only turn on when idle was below 1500rpm. After oil change, light stays on always. I put the recommended weight and amount stamped on block. The previous owner put on an oil cooler so i assume that the bike needs more oil. however i put more in and the light won't go out. Any recommendations?

ok, so i removed the oil cooler to see if it helped the pressure since cooler was mounted so high, i figured the pressure wasn't high enough to pump through cooler. still no luck.

Comment

ok im going to quote my manual to the letter

"If the switch is functioning normally, when the engine is stopped and the switch is turned on the oil pressure indicator light comes on and
      goes out immediately when the engine starts. This indicates that the oil pump is delivering enough oil to the engine.
      Two possibilities must be taken into consideration
      when the switch and light do not operate as stated above. One is that the switch is faulty due to an open-circuit or grounding
      (this can be checked with the circuit tester). The other is a mechanical malfunction-an inability of the switch to respond to the
      applied pressure which can be checked by measuring the oil pressure when the engine is running. If the pressure is low, the oil pump
      is malfunctioning; if high, the switch is mechanically defective and must be replaced."

Comment

Sorry i forgot to welcome you to GSR cliff will probably be around shortly to do the same

his site is located here->http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ it has alot of info about our GS series bikes

and also here is his Mega welcome page http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._Greeting.html

Comment

Hi Mr. jimbo.e,

Inspect, clean, and verify the oil pressure switch is operating properly. These are low pressure systems so it shouldn't take that much pressure to deactivate the oil pressure light.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Oil light dilemma

My 82 has similar problem, but I get an intermittent flickering of the oil light while driving anywhere between 45-60 mph. If I downshift and the rpm's go up it usually goes away. It was mentioned in this thread to check the oil pressure; what's the best way to do this. I too wan't to decipher if its' the switch or pump. The bike has 41K miles and I have been giving it much TLC; it's actually running very well outside a little smoke at start up.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X