1981 GS1000g Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1000g Engine Rebuild

Just starting to rebuild my engine after having it Hydroblasted (looks great). However my son is insisting that I have new bearing replaced on the crank shaft, yet the blokes at VJMC say they wouldn't bother because its bulletproof.

Don't want to spend all this time rebuilding only to have to replace them later.

Any suggestions

Why not introduce yourself..................

If it had a forged crank with plain bearings, it would be a sound idea, but it ain't...
    The crank on the GS1000 is well engineered with roller and ball bearings and short of running the motor with no oil is pretty much indestructible. Because it's a pressed up affair, replacing the bearings would involve a lot of work pulling it apart, pressing it back together, balancing etc.
    It'll be fine.

Comment

I agree with GUY. The roller cranks are absolutely bullet proof. Unless there is a known problem with the crank then leave it alone and it will serve you well.

Comment

Why would you rebuild the motor in the 1st place?

It should go 150,000km on just maintenance and a valve stem seal change

I've even run my 78 about 8 miles without any oil in it all . It's still fine 40,000 miles later, no crank damage
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. RoyHamer,

How many miles on the engine? Yes, a top end refresh should be all you need, if that. As long as you're there, new base gasket and O-rings, new head gasket, maybe new rings, hone the cylinders, new valve seals, maybe new cam chain guides, etc. I like Real Gaskets for the valve cover and breather. Below you will find other information about cleaning the carbs, checking the charging system, and other things that should be checked.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and let you in on some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X