82 GS750T, Please Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750T, Please Help!!

Ok, I'm gonna try to keep a long story short. Bought this bike last year. It had been sitting in a garage for 9 years. So last year after I bought it I rebuilt the petcock, cleaned and lined the tank, dropped the carbs off to be cleaned and rebuilt. After like 4 months of the shop not being able to figure it out I bought a different rack of carbs, put in the rebuild kit, and syched em. The bike ran great (for the whopping 2 months I was able to) though she's mighty cold blooded. Now that riding season is once again upon us. I put new tires on, new chain, sprockets, new brakes, and new exhaust gaskets. Fired her up and she was cold blooded like usual but now for the problem. Cylinders #3 and #4 are firing and warm like they should, #1 and #2 are ice cold for a very long time (several minutes) and then pick up and stay running and all is good. It did this last year but I got my bike back from the shop so late in the season and WI gets pretty cold so I assumed thats why. But obviously not. She seems to be running lean. Compression in all are good, spark is there on all 4. I'm stuck. Any ideas would be helpful. I'm just confused as to why it eventually picks up. Itd be easier if they never fired. But they do but it takes forever and I think the bike could perform better once this is fixed??????

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mjremington,

There is a proper way to clean the carbs, and it's not using aftermarket "carb kits", unfortunately. You'll also need to adjust the valves, make sure there is sufficient voltage at the coils (read up on the coil relay mod), and check the charging system (as in The Stator Papers). And that's just for starters. Below are a couple of links that will get you started down the path toward a safe, reliable, classic GS motorcycle...

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

So your thinking its more so in the electrical then in the fuel delivery or possible lack there of? The jets are OEM and all the brass and O-rings in the carbs are new. The new rack was manually cleaned then put into an ultra sonic dip. I'll read the link on the valve adjustment and stator issues and fix. Thank you for the helpful info

Comment

Adjust the valves for the "cold-bloodiness" and do a proper carb sync with a manometer.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ok, Ill adjust the valves. I have a Clymers so that should help along with the info BassCliff sent me and guess we'll have to re-sync the carbs. The mechanic who did it last year and had her for 4 month assured me that all was good. The #1 and #2 cylinder not picking up for a long time was happening last year but I got it so late in the season and with them finally picking up and #3 and #4 acting normal I assumed it was normal or at least due to it being just about winter here in Northern WI. But can the carbs being out of sync cause #1 and #2 not to pick up or fire until warm? When 3 and 4 are good? And she idles at 1100 when all 4 are firing right. And can the valves needing adjustment cause this? Or will that just help the cold blooded nature? I'm in love with the bike but its one thing after another. But I'm plugging away.

Comment

Your suffering from two or more problems

The only way to find out what they are is to go thru the 10 things on BassCliffs page

If you haven't adjusted the valves, it needs to be checked. You'll be surprised atb how much easier the bike starts afterwards

As for the 2-3 vs 3-4 problem, do 2-3 run at higher rpm?

It's most likely a sync problem, but could be clogged jets

Download a manual for your bike and go to it

Northern WI? Minoqua? (one of my favorite places)

Edit: I see your carbs were never properly cleaned and you installed kits. Get them clean as per the tutorial, adjust the valves and I bet you'll be 100%
            Last edited by Big T; 05-25-2011, 03:26 PM.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The carbs were hand cleaned and then dipped. The bike shop did it. New carb kit. Tank lined and an in-line filter installed. They said they synced them but they probably were sick of me and very possibly never did it. It's 1 and 2 that don't pick up for a very long time at start up so I'm not understanding the question of higher RPM's. 3 and 4 are the two that are fired up and stay going. But if you mean, am I throttling it or the choke revs them up. No, they don't until somewhere around several minutes. Then they pick up. Once all four are firing she idles at 1100-1200. Smelled lean to. But we're waiting for the sync tool and we'll check the valves. Adjust sccordingly. Thank you to those replying.

Comment

And I'm in Superior Big T. Right on the Minnesota border and the tip of Lake Superior.

Comment

Hmm, I'd be suspicious of any shop that took 4 months to dip and sync carbs

A new sync will probably tell you what they might/might not have actually done to your carbs

Superior? Just east of the aerial lift bridge! I've driven thru there headed for the North Shore

Just read through Basscliff's link and website for more help and let us know what you find
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yes Big T. One in the same. The north shore is gorgeous especially on a bike ride! Can't Wait to get her running like she should! And yeah. They had the bike for four months! Finally I just bought a newer rack of carbs and they got it running finally! In October! And I got it back with more quirks then when it went in. The petcock was leaking from a bolt. They didn't put a gasket on it. The exhaust was leaking from #2 and #3 which we fixed and my sending unit(fuel gauge?) no longer works but did when it went in. It's been a battle that's for sure!

Comment

Don't ever take your bike back to those bozos again

The GSR will guide you in solving your problems

my wife wants to go back to Castle Danger for pie
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Quick question. While looking over all the info on this site and BassCliffs as well. I'm now a tad confused. I know the cylinders go 1,2,3,4 from left to right while sitting on it. But looking at all the different info here I'm confused as to the coils. Do 1 and 2 get their spark from the coil on the left side? Same side as 1 and 2 cylinders? And 3 and 4 from the right? I see on BassCliffs page, his 850 is alternated. Is the 750 different. Just curious. Because with 1 and 2 being the culprit I suspect the coil is bad. Planned on checking anyway due to the suggestions of everyone but just want to get it straight. Thank you

Comment

Nope

Coils fire 1-4, 2-3
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

So the left fires cylinder 1&4 and the right 2&3? Is it possible if the wires were switched that that could cause my problems? Or would it not run at all? Secondly. Since that's how they fire is it unlikely that the coil is the culprit as it is 1&2 being the problem children not a combo of 1&4 or 2&3? Thanks Big T! That cleared up a misconception by me. I haven't really "inspected" them yet and assumed the wires never crossed but simply dropped to each side. But see, looking around the info caused me to get a tiny light bulb to click and ask. This forum and site(s) are a great resource! Feel a tad dumb but hey, now I know!

Comment

Or is it possible that there is a problem with just half of each coil? Knowledge is power so you might get some off the wall questions in my quest for it. But I appreciate all the tutelage.

Comment

Working...
                              X