78 gs 550 chain and sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs 550 chain and sprockets

Hi all its been a long time since I have been on here. It has been a couple of years I took a break from riding. Went through msf course and got my endorsement.

Any way, in going over my bike and getting it ready to ride again I want to put a new chain and sprockets on it. I unsterstand in reading the older posts on this that I need a 530/110 chain, 15 front sprocket,and 50 rear sprocket. Where I am getting confused is about changing gear sizes. I mostly ride in the city very rarely go on the highway, I have only not ridden on the highway because of current condition.

Also on wether or not to get an o-ring style chain or a cheaper chain.

Thanks,
    Jim from Detroit,MI

Originally posted by 78gs550e View Post
    Hi all its been a long time since I have been on here. It has been a couple of years I took a break from riding. Went through msf course and got my endorsement.

Any way, in going over my bike and getting it ready to ride again I want to put a new chain and sprockets on it. I unsterstand in reading the older posts on this that I need a 530/110 chain, 15 front sprocket,and 50 rear sprocket. Where I am getting confused is about changing gear sizes. I mostly ride in the city very rarely go on the highway, I have only not ridden on the highway because of current condition.

Also on wether or not to get an o-ring style chain or a cheaper chain.

Thanks,
    Jim from Detroit,MI
    Why change- the stock ratio should work for you. If chain/sprockets are old, replace them. O-ring would be my choice.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What Tom said. The "O" ring chain was standard on these bikes from new.

Comment

i went 1 down in the front(14T), and i plan on going up 1 or 2(probably a 52T) in the rear. that front sprocket makes the bike so much fun. any gearing the little 550 can get will be a noticable improvement. i rarely/never ride highway.

Comment

Thank you for the advice everyone, I am going to stay stock with the sizes. I am going to go with an O-ring chain that has a master link. The reason I am doing this is work has been slow I and am on a tight budget. The chain that is on there now has a master link. It was on there when i bought the bike, I put 5000 miles on it since I owned it.Never had an issue with it.

Comment

Working...
          X