Clutch pinion release bearing race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch pinion release bearing race

I'm not sure where this question would be best fit, but I'll try it here. A couple of years ago, I polished the engine cases and sprayed them with a clear coat which has yellowed significantly. I'm going to polish them again and would like to either powdercoat or ceramic coat them to seal them up. I was able to get everything out of the right side case, to include the oil level window without incident, except for the bearing race at the bottom of the pinion. I tried freezing the case and using heat to free the race up and PB Blaster but I can't get anything substantial on it to either drive or pull it out because of the angle of approach. I'm sure that someone has figured this out and I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

You got the pinion gear itself out?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yes, and the upper bearing. When I tried to drive the lower bearing out, the rollers fell out with the inner race, but the outer race won't break loose.

Comment

Originally posted by rputney01 View Post
        Yes, and the upper bearing. When I tried to drive the lower bearing out, the rollers fell out with the inner race, but the outer race won't break loose.
        Here are a couple of pics. It is hard to see, but the rim of the race just keeps breaking off when I put a drift on it. The angle also makes it difficult.

Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2011, 09:53 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

How about putting a propane torch on it to expand the metal? It might fall right out.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            How about putting a propane torch on it to expand the metal? It might fall right out.
            I put the case in the freezer overnight and hit it with the torch the next morning. No go. I'll probably try it again, but I want to be careful to ensure that I don't damage the case.

I appreciate the idea though. Thanks.

Comment

Try hitting it with some ammonia. I doubt there is any corrosion holding it in there but you never know. Ammonia will "etch" the aluminum - the trick is getting the ammonia between the race and the case. Maybe put a little in there, and tap it a few times.

This has worked to release aluminum seatposts stuck in steel bicycle frames, no reason it wouldn't work here, right?

Careful, though, the ammonia will attack the aluminum. Use just enough to get it wet, let it sit for a while, and tap around it to help capillary action do it's thing.

This has also worked to free up stuck header bolts....

Comment

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

I finally threw in the towel and cut it with a carbide bit in my Dremel. That and 300 degrees with the propane torch and it finally came loose. Buggered the case a little bit, but I think it is repairable.

Comment

Working...
                  X