My 850 Seems to be running hot? or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 850 Seems to be running hot? or not?

Just got my 1982 GS850 on the road after doing a complete carb clean, intake boots new with new O rings, so I took it for a ride (first for this bike since carb cleaning) , the bike really runs great, very smooth running. The bike is all stock, airbox, exhaust, etc. But for some reason when I got back from a short ride the engine seemed very hot, the air temp during the ride was 82 degrees, the ride was just 10 miles. The air screws on the carbs are at 1.5 turns out. Maybe it's just me worrying or Should I be concerned and what other causes should I look for.

thanks
    Tom

Our old air cooled beasts get pretty hot!

Hot and heavy same way I like my women!

Do you have a temp gauge? What's it reading?
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
      Our old air cooled beasts get pretty hot!

Hot and heavy same way I like my women!

Do you have a temp gauge? What's it reading?
      As I get older most of the women I know have gone from hot to heavy.

I do not have a temp gauge, where should the bike be temp wise? Maybe I'm just being paranoid as it was the first ride. This is my first older air cooled inline 4 other than a KZ1100 I had for a very short time.

Comment

Any engine I have seen would cause burns if it was touched after bring run 10 miles,

If you stop as a light it gets so warm you legs hurt.

You could do plug chops to check the condition of the spark plugs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I was reading the link on BassCliffs site for the oil cooler mod, maybe I will build one for it to calm my paranoia, lol

Comment

What do your spark plugs look like?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Depending on your spark plug colors, turning the mixture screws (they are not "air" screws) out another 1/2 to 1 turn will cool it down a bit.

That will also get it off "choke" quicker and run better at low throttle openings.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Depending on your spark plug colors, turning the mixture screws (they are not "air" screws) out another 1/2 to 1 turn will cool it down a bit.

That will also get it off "choke" quicker and run better at low throttle openings.

Here is what cylinders 1 & 4 look like, NGK B8ES. So turning mixture screws out will richen the mixture?

Thanks
                Tom

Comment

Yes, they are mixture screws. Turning just about any adjuster anti-clockwise will admit more of what it's controlling. In this case, it's a mixture, so it will be richer.

Nice color on the plugs, but what happened just before the engine was shut off?
                  To do proper plug chops (<--click the link), you need to hold the throttle at specific settings, run the engine long enough to 'color' the plugs for that setting, then hit the kill switch, pull the clutch, coast to a stop, pull the plugs and inspect the color. Repeat for the different throttle settings. The mixtures produced in the differrent circuits in the carb are controlled by different jets. It is entirely possible to be very rich in one, but very lean in another. You need to check them all.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Yes, they are mixture screws. Turning just about any adjuster anti-clockwise will admit more of what it's controlling. In this case, it's a mixture, so it will be richer.

Nice color on the plugs, but what happened just before the engine was shut off?
                    To do proper plug chops (<--click the link), you need to hold the throttle at specific settings, run the engine long enough to 'color' the plugs for that setting, then hit the kill switch, pull the clutch, coast to a stop, pull the plugs and inspect the color. Repeat for the different throttle settings. The mixtures produced in the differrent circuits in the carb are controlled by different jets. It is entirely possible to be very rich in one, but very lean in another. You need to check them all.

Towards the end of the 10 mile ride yesterday it did have some very minor popping and minor hesitation. So I had it backwards and thought that clockwise turns would richen the mixture and counter turns would lean the mixture.

So perhaps it's running just a bit lean, like I said though, the bike does run very well and smooth other than the minor popping and hesitation that showed up toward the end of the ride.

I'll do the adjustments you recommend and post back.

thanks very much for the help.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Steve, after adjustments it helped, carbs ended around 2.5 turns out. The bike is running extremely well. Now I just have to seek out a set of the rubber cam seals, weeping just a bit of oil. Does Z1 Ent carry the cam seals?

Comment

Working...
                      X