Valve chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve chatter

I have noticed that my 650 is really noisy for about 5 minutes after start up and I am pretty sure it is the valves. It resembles conditions I have seen on many trucks when the oil gets low and the valves just click away. Just to note, I have plenty of oil in there. I just did an oil change and the clicking doesn't last quite as long or loud, but its still enough to catch my attention and get me nervous.

Is it normal for the valve gremlins to do their tap dancing or is there something else to look into?

valve chatter

Same issue but only on exhaust #3. checked clearence and good very loud and after engine gets good and warm goes away. Scary to me

Comment

I recommend rebuilding the cam chain tensioner just to be safe.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Ditto

No hydraulic lifters to pump up on a GS, not like a truck engiine
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by timt794 View Post
          Same issue but only on exhaust #3. checked clearence and good very loud and after engine gets good and warm goes away. Scary to me
          How do you determine that #3 is the loud one?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            At least check it to make sure that it's free to slide and not locked in position by previous mechanic.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also make sure the cam bucket turns freely

Comment

+1 on the tensioner rebuild. It's easy to accomplish, it's cheap, and once it's done, you're good for another 20-30 years. It's also an exceptionally common source of a few different oil leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  At least check it to make sure that it's free to slide and not locked in position by previous mechanic.
                  It seems to be able to move fine, and the timing chain doesn't have much slack in it anyway.....

also, Big T, I thought it was just a lack of oil lubing it at start up causing this. The trucks I am talking about are the spring lifter ones, unless I misunderstand the concept of hydraulic lifters.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
                    It seems to be able to move fine, and the timing chain doesn't have much slack in it anyway.....
                    How did you determine that it " moves fine" ?- I hope you don't mean that the knurled knob moves easily, cuz it could do that if the sliding shaft was rusted in place.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      How did you determine that it " moves fine" ?- I hope you don't mean that the knurled knob moves easily, cuz it could do that if the sliding shaft was rusted in place.
                      *head falls to desk*

yeah, thats what i meant...

So I looked all over B.C.'s website and the mega welcome and couldnt find any info on the tensioner. How would I go about 'rebuilding' it or at the very least, cleaning it and freeing it up?

Comment

*head falls to desk*

yeah, thats what i meant...

So I looked all over B.C.'s website and the mega welcome and couldnt find any info on the tensioner. How would I go about 'rebuilding' it or at the very least, cleaning it and freeing it up?
                        1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

And when you reset it on the bike, the proper way to "adjust" it is to turn the center screw in till it just hits the rod..then back off about 1/4 turn and tighten the jamming nut.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So I looked all over B.C.'s website and the mega welcome and couldnt find any info on the tensioner.
                            I guess it's time to look again.

Click HERE to go to BassCliff's home page. Look just below the second picture of a bike, you will see:

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

also, Big T, I thought it was just a lack of oil lubing it at start up causing this. The trucks I am talking about are the spring lifter ones, unless I misunderstand the concept of hydraulic lifters.
                              On the GS, there are pockets that hold oil after shutting down, this ensures you have oil on the cams when restarting. Ray
                              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                              X