advise pleae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advise pleae

talked to couple of 'mechanics' today , 1 was a drag racer who used to race suzukis (1000) he said they was no way to syc the vac carbs on this bike ?
    the other works at a suzuki deal as there mech' said the same ,
    the only thing there is is the air/fuel adjusters on the top , take them down , then turn 2 1/2 to 3 turns out
    i have went back thru the carbs again with small wire .carb cleaner .
    air , i have readjusted per the 'book; on floats ,
    this bike will not start unless it its with help of ether,
    i am at a loss as to what else to do with this bike !
    i have checked compression again, rebuilt carbs , went thru carbs , rechecked timming, replaced the petcoke valve (rebuilt), new seals on the intake , new seals on air box and filter,
    this bike doesnt want to start , nor after you get it started it doesnt want to run under 3 grand
    both mech' said to replace the carbs with someones known working peice to eleminate the possiability that the carbs are just plain bad,
    the one nech said to replace those style with ones off an older bike that had sliders , instead of the junk im trying to salvage
    i have so far invested more than what the bike is worth ,
    do i keep trying to fix something i cannot find , and the area mech refuse to work on something that old , or just dump it and purchase something other than this type of bike , something with out vac carbs??

Those mechanics offering advice are idiots.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nothing wrong with vacuum carbs at all.
      My 1100 runs just as great with 29 smoothbores on it as it does with 34CV's.
      There is simply something that is being over-looked that is preventing the bike from running.
      The "mechanic's" are just stumped and/or don't know what they are doing/not familiar with carbs.

Daniel

Comment

Well you could borrow a set of good carbs from someone and elimate that psossabilaty all together. what other history have you got? Cam timing ok and stuff like that. Download a genuine workshop manual if you can from basscliffs site.

Comment

Agreed on all points, the so called mechanics are class one idiots and something is being overlooked.
          A carb, or set thereof can not go bad as a whole, it is a collection of parts that work together in harmony to give the desired result, a combustable fuel/air mixture for the engine.
          You say you have cleane the carbs, did you do it as described on Basscliffs carb cleaning tutorial, complete strip, dip and reassembly with new O-Rings?
          If not, go back a step and start there, there is no short cut..........period.
          If they have been cleaned properly, it sounds like there is an issue with the slow running side of the carb, check all the jet sizes to see where they are from stock, check the diaphrams on top of the slides for tears or even pin holes, check that the little rubber plugs which sit in the float bowl next to the main jet are all there and were not forgotten.
          And yes, the carbs can be synced, (idiot mechanic ) again, pull the tutorial from Basscliffs site, whip the carbs off and do a bench sync to give you a starting point..........we'll go from there.

What bike are we talking about here, you know that would help.

Comment

You're potentially staring down multiple issues here, which would be typical for a neglected, 30-year-old bike. IIRC from another thread you did your valve adjustment, right?

Sounds like stock airbox - stock exhaust?

Did you do a "bench sync" before you put the carbs back on (use light to adjust the butterflies to as close to even opening as possible)?

Have you checked your voltage at the coils? That one just bit me.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
              You're potentially staring down multiple issues here, which would be typical for a neglected, 30-year-old bike.
              Yes this. Trying to diagnose a poorly running bike is very difficult until all the maintenance is up to date.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Agreed on all points, the so called mechanics are class one idiots and something is being overlooked.
                A carb, or set thereof can not go bad as a whole, it is a collection of parts that work together in harmony to give the desired result, a combustable fuel/air mixture for the engine.
                You say you have cleane the carbs, did you do it as described on Basscliffs carb cleaning tutorial, complete strip, dip and reassembly with new O-Rings?
                If not, go back a step and start there, there is no short cut..........period.
                If they have been cleaned properly, it sounds like there is an issue with the slow running side of the carb, check all the jet sizes to see where they are from stock, check the diaphrams on top of the slides for tears or even pin holes, check that the little rubber plugs which sit in the float bowl next to the main jet are all there and were not forgotten.
                And yes, the carbs can be synced, (idiot mechanic ) again, pull the tutorial from Basscliffs site, whip the carbs off and do a bench sync to give you a starting point..........we'll go from there.

What bike are we talking about here, you know that would help.
                Thank you ALL. (82 gs 850)
                i have the carbs off now on the bench, once again the carbs have been , dipped cleaned, , redipped and also sonic cleaned (sonic cleaning to a tune of 65.$)
                since then i have reset the fuel level, resprayed, yes the rubbers are in place,
                as for the timming , i have been there couple times it appears to be exactly where it should be !
                the spark from the wires is hot and color is nice blue,on all cyl,
                the tappets set is .04 with the exception of # 2 cyl at a .05
                i do beleive this is fuel related,
                there is new seals in the intake and air box and the filter is new !
                the diaphrams all move with excellation ,
                after the bike runns it has to run on the choke at half or better to run,
                but will die under 3 grand
                what ever is going on ,is an easy fix and something that i have overlooked, in the fuel scenario,
                i have downloaded basscliffs preset of carbs on the bench, i will go back thru it this a/m see if there is something there,!
                i am pretty intense when it comes to assembly exspecialy carbs and timming, motorcycle carbs i must admit do stump me , mostley because they are multible units , but the workings have to be the same as 1 on my drag car , fuel air
                keep trying has to be an aswer!!
                thanks everyone,, dennis

Comment

Did you hold up the pilot jets to a light and verify they are open? The hole is very small and carb dipping is not enough to make sure they are clear.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Did you hold up the pilot jets to a light and verify they are open? The hole is very small and carb dipping is not enough to make sure they are clear.
                    Especially if they are the type with only the one very tiny hole at the tip.
                    Have you tried a torch tip cleaner (might not even be small enough), fishing line or a single strand of wire to make certain that it is clear?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dennismopar73 View Post
                      Thank you ALL. (82 gs 850)
                      i have the carbs off now on the bench, once again the carbs have been , dipped cleaned, , redipped and also sonic cleaned (sonic cleaning to a tune of 65.$)
                      since then i have reset the fuel level, resprayed, yes the rubbers are in place,
                      as for the timming , i have been there couple times it appears to be exactly where it should be !
                      the spark from the wires is hot and color is nice blue,on all cyl,
                      the tappets set is .04 with the exception of # 2 cyl at a .05
                      i do beleive this is fuel related,
                      there is new seals in the intake and air box and the filter is new !
                      the diaphrams all move with excellation ,
                      after the bike runns it has to run on the choke at half or better to run,
                      but will die under 3 grand
                      what ever is going on ,is an easy fix and something that i have overlooked, in the fuel scenario,
                      i have downloaded basscliffs preset of carbs on the bench, i will go back thru it this a/m see if there is something there,!
                      i am pretty intense when it comes to assembly exspecialy carbs and timming, motorcycle carbs i must admit do stump me , mostley because they are multible units , but the workings have to be the same as 1 on my drag car , fuel air
                      keep trying has to be an aswer!!
                      thanks everyone,, dennis
                      Well, from the symptoms you describe

1. The low speed circuits in the carb are not clean - the fact that you need the choke (which is actually an enrichener) verifies that - that's why the posters above are asking you about your jets

2. Is your airbox in place when you're trying to start the bike? This is critical for the CV carbs , they need the restriction to run. I know ,this is contrary to all your drag racing background.

3. Those "mechanics" know nothing about these carbs, or likely anything else. The sync method is in the factory service manual, so I have to assume they are illiterate

You'll find that you will join the club of folks here who have had to clean their carbs multiple times to achieve proper running
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Yes, maybe .020 inch diameter- real easy to get plugged with crap- ultrasonic might not break up the plug. Use small strands of copper wire and poke thru these tiny holes, spray gumout thru them to finish off.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Definitely sounds like a lean running condition. Is your breather hose connected to your airbox? Also, I believe there's a hose on the bottom of
                          your air box which is used for a drain, the one on my 1100 has a plug on the end of it (no air leaks) and the one on my 1000 doesn't have a plug but doesn't have any vacuum. Any air leaks at all will contribute to a lean running condition, found an open barbed nipple at No 2 carb sync port (on my GS1000) when there should have been a allen screw with copper washer, really sucking air.
                          I even had a screen mesh air cleaner cover (on my GS1100) I thought was stock and had the carbs rebuilt several times because it was running lean, to find out it
                          was just probably just the aftermarket cleaner box lid.
                          Good weather stripping on the air cleaner cover?
                          You just wouldn't believe just how much of a difference getting rid of all those leaks made.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

well ,, im at a loss myself, i have spent week on finding air leaks
                            i took drastic measure today , used ether with a straw, while the bike was running i sprayed the intake around the air box ,carbs, no pickup in rpm \s was found
                            so what ever is wrong i have to call it quits !!
                            this bike has taken up way to much time ./ money for any kind of ride/fun i could have
                            so this bike will be for sale , along with the spare motor
                            pretty nice bike tires are almost new,new battery, plugs , new rebuild kits( dipped,&sonic cleaned) carbs / petcock everything works except motor hahah ,,motor has been rering paint is faded i was going to paint it after got running ,
                            i am looking on ebay and craigslist for a bike that runs!!!!!!!!
                            i want to say thanks everyone for youre time and youre ideas !

Comment

I wish I could offer you a "quick" fix, but sometimes the problem isn't as evident or easly to locate. If and when you do find it, all will make sense
                              as to why it's doing what it's doing.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X