head gasket problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket problems

Sorry I havent posted in a while , but the mechanic has had my bike for over 3 MONTHS!!! Started out as a 2 week job has carried over to 3 months and a couple weeks , now bike is all back together and still leaking oil between the head and jugs. I resurfaced the head myself ( which was not included in the price i was quoted ) as well i had to extract and tap all 8 exhaust manifold bolts that he broke off, i had to buy the head set , and now he wants me to pay the original quoted price !!NOT!!!!! But i was wondering if the jugs could have possibly got warped just like the head was ? I see alot of how to stuff on here , but nothing with a complete breakdown of the head gasket replacement . Thanks for all your help and I am glad to be back !!

You might want to include a little more info for us. Like WHAT MODEL BIKE YOU HAVE!!! Ray.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this problem. Yet another story of poor quality work being performed by a so called "professional mechanic".

To assure a robust head gasket leak repair both the head and cylinder must be properly flat and smooth. The factory Suzuki service manual details a flatness specification for the head, but I'm not sure about the cylinder (I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment). Another thing that's critical is the use of quality gaskets. Many aftermarket gaskets are of lesser quality so using OEM gaskets and seals is highly recommended. Lastly, after changing out the gaskets it's critical to perform follow-up torque checks during the settling down period (first 600 miles or so), and every few thousand miles thereafter.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

In addition to the above, some head gaskets have a separate O ring that goes on the corner studs to control oil

These are easily left off by people unfamiliar with the GS motor
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Might want to post the name of the shop/mechanic and area so others can avoid.....

Comment

I took my bike to a shop due to excessive engine noise and no oil pressure when idleing. We talked about rebuilding the engine and I said go for it. He ended up boring it out to 1100 cc. While he had it, I had him replace the stator, reg/rec, the coils and other electrical items. After having the bike in his shop for over a year it sets in my garage in need of a new stator and rec/reg. When he tore the engine apart he told me that the dogs on various tranny gears were worn and I should replace them. I found a tranny on e-bay. When it arrived we checked the tranny out and found it to be in great condition and a perfect match. Now I have no nuetral light because he says there was a difference in the tranny parts and can't get the nuetral switch to work, he did finnaly get it to stop leaking oil. Oh yeah, the bike still makes a lot of noise. He cracked the wind screen and claims it was like that, he's wrong I have pictures. I have thought about taking him to court, but I think his shop is on its way out of business. I have about $5000.00 into the bike, I wanted to restore it. If the new stator, rec/reg, wiring and ground cleaning doesn't get it on the road, I don't know what I am going to do with it. It might become an e-bay parts bike. That's my 1980 GS1000S

Comment

Yes there are plenty of "d*ckheads" around prepared to take your hard earned cash if you're willing to give it to them.

If you can change the spare wheel on your car then you can work on a GS -- my thoughts anyway. Don't entrust that piece of history to anyone, not even to me.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschool2 View Post
                I took my bike to a shop due to excessive engine noise and no oil pressure when idleing. We talked about rebuilding the engine and I said go for it. He ended up boring it out to 1100 cc. While he had it, I had him replace the stator, reg/rec, the coils and other electrical items. After having the bike in his shop for over a year it sets in my garage in need of a new stator and rec/reg. When he tore the engine apart he told me that the dogs on various tranny gears were worn and I should replace them. I found a tranny on e-bay. When it arrived we checked the tranny out and found it to be in great condition and a perfect match. Now I have no nuetral light because he says there was a difference in the tranny parts and can't get the nuetral switch to work, he did finnaly get it to stop leaking oil. Oh yeah, the bike still makes a lot of noise. He cracked the wind screen and claims it was like that, he's wrong I have pictures. I have thought about taking him to court, but I think his shop is on its way out of business. I have about $5000.00 into the bike, I wanted to restore it. If the new stator, rec/reg, wiring and ground cleaning doesn't get it on the road, I don't know what I am going to do with it. It might become an e-bay parts bike. That's my 1980 GS1000S
                Not saying a word about monkeys. What i say is why pay someone $60/hr to stuff it up when i can stuff it up for free and buy the tools to do it right. Old GS's arent techanical just scary for "newbies'
                Ask and you shall recieve

Comment

That's why I'm here, need to learn to do things myself.

Comment

Working...
                  X