Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very low compression problem solved - sort of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See post above.Stop over thinking!

Comment

Okay, you're right. I'll shut up now, change the oil when I get home and take the bike out for a run and see what happens.
      As a side note, I've been riding a friend's Honda XL500 dual-sport dirt bike while my GS has been down and I tell ya, in city traffic, a big trail bike with street(ish) tires is tough to beat.

All right, enough head scratching... I'll report back after I've taken the GS for a run.
      thanks,
      baz

Comment

Throw away that silly compression tester and go for a ride. A long hard ride.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I put away the compression tester and put everything back together, fairings, etc. The bike cranked for a while, stumble, farted, backfired then finally fired. It ran very rough for a few minutes but I resisted temptations to mess with the carbs, etc. It slowly began to steady out. I was pretty tentative putting on my helmet but thought, "What the hell, the worst that can happen is I trash the engine, right?"
          So we went out and the bike squalled and stuttered and stumbled through first, second, third. Within about 10 minutes the power was coming on smoother, some black smoke emitted for a few seconds then cleared up and it's as if the bike had coughed out a hairball. All of a sudden she was revving smoothly through the powerband, firing cleanly up to about 8,000 rpm. I didn't risk taking it higher than that.
          I hit the highway and really opened her up. Man, it was sweet music to hear that banshee wail again, with no sudden braps or stalls, just smooth power delivery.
          I kept looking in the mirror expecting to see smoke or something but no, everything was running smooth. Temp came up to normal, which takes a while on this bike.
          Of course, I didn't want to get off the bike and kept going, found some snakey two-lane roads north of town and swung through the curves for a couple hours till I ran through most of a tank of gas.
          She was smooth as silk heading back home.
          I went out early this morning to make sure and yep, she fired right up and idled nice and clean. I rode her to work for the first time in ages and man, it felt so good.
          So a huge thanks to everyone who had the good grace and patience to hold my hand through this adventure. I can't believe we actually managed it, especially with ME wielding the wrenches!
          thanks again and have a great summer, I sure plan to!
          baz

Comment

YaY!!!!

See, we can be right some of the time

This is one of those times

Wasn't that better than the rebuild the engine diagnosis you got?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Congratulations on getting it out and running again.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks again!
                I couldn't have done it without the good folks on this forum.

Now all I need to do is sort out a minor front turn signal wiring issue, install a new back tire that doesn't spin up on corner exits (thanks a #&*#! ton, Mr. Kenda) and install the low mileage rear monoshock I picked up. After that she'll be prime!

Comment

Kenda, the Greek God of Slipperyness.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Almost hate to say this(not really) but told you so

Comment

Cool beans brother.

Glad you got that crap straightened out!

Off to the races

Nic
                      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Working...
                      X