Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaskets

What gaskets will I need after doing my tappets, I also may remove my engine covers to polish will I be better to buy a kit?

Valve cover gasket.
    What model and year?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You'll need a valve cover gasket (on Suzuki's fiche it's called a head cover gasket) for doing the valve clearances. There's a breather cover on top but it's pretty rare to replace it unless it's actually leaking. If your bike (which we don't know - but might if it were in your sig, hint, hint) has the tach drive in the head itself instead of the valve cover then Real Gaskets are a popular choice. Re-usable. Oh, you should probably buy some half-moons (which aren't included in gasket sets) and some threebond to glue them in with.

I guess a stator cover gasket and clutch cover gasket are in order if you're going to remove them to polish them. Then you'll need to get a stainless steel bolt set to enhance the appearance. While you're into the clutch cover you might as well change the clutch springs if it's never been done before, and check the thicknesses on the clutch plates while you're in there...

Buying those three gaskets from Suzuki (or Real Gasket for the valve cover) is probably cheaper than getting an Athena or Vesrah gasket set. I think those aftermarket sets are usually OK for the stator or clutch covers. The base, head, and valve cover gaskets are definitely questionable.

Comment

Sorry I forgot that not everyone in the world knows me. 1979 GS750E

Comment

Hi,

You might want to consider replacing the "half moons" too. See the valve adjustment guide on my little website for lots of information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi BassCliff, thank you for your advice I will do that your sight has already been very very helpful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

You might want to consider replacing the "half moons" too. See the valve adjustment guide on my little website for lots of information.

BassCliff

If I'm going to try and purchase "half-moon" gaskets, what are they actually called. I noticed you kept using the "half-moon" title in your tutorial, so I couldn't figure out what you meant. Thanks

Comment

Camshaft end cover gaskets are what they're called I think (half moons).

Comment

Part no. 18 in this pic. for the 1979 GS 750E

Alpha Sports is your friend.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

At least for finding parts. There are better/cheaper vendors than Alpha.

Comment

Hi,

The fiche calls them a ''cylinder head side plug". I've also seen them called "cam end plug". Look on the cylinder head page of your parts fiche.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X