Sticking Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking Clutch

Hey guys I've been looking around and haven't found a thread that matched my problem so here it goes.

I have an '84 GS1150EF and when first starting up I'll put it in gear and the bike wants to pull forward. If I drop it into first or even second I can't get it into any other gear, the plates are not letting go.

For some added info... and this one is a puzzle... when I rev the engine above 3k the plates will free up and it doesn't pull, but as soon as the engine idles down the bike will want to pull again. Also when the bike warms up (5-10mins of riding) everything frees up perfectly. After a couple of hours of not riding the same thing happens all over again.

I've adjusted the clutch cable, and I have changed the oil with Amsoil full synthetic. There is no slipping in the clutch at all.

There is supposedly a high performance aftermarket clutch in it now (I don't know the brand). I'm planning on taking the clutch apart for a look but I don't know what to expect. Does anyone know how many friction and metal plates I should have in the 1150? Is there anything else I should look for?

Any/all advice would be appreciated.

You should have nine of each plate, fibre and steels.

Comment

Sounds like a typical Barnett clutch set up

I changed mine back to stock
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys, I've done a little research on barnett clutches and it does sound like the problem. Big T when you changed back to stock did you just change the fiber plates or would you recommend changing the steels too?

Comment

You change both the steels and the fibers

The Barnett has its own steels and fibers, both are much thicker than stock, so there's fewer of them in there

When you pull the clutch cover, you can count them and confirm

Check the Part for Sale below, maybe someone is parting out a compatible bike

Hmm, have you gotten your BassCliff megawelcome yet? There's a number of vendors listed, check their parts fiches to confirm the number of plates

Looks like 11 fibers, 12 steels

Last edited by Big T; 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X