Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those experienced in GS1100/GS1150 Clutch Hub rebuildings/ strengthening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those experienced in GS1100/GS1150 Clutch Hub rebuildings/ strengthening

I am contemplating whether its necessary to have Falicon or APE build my clutch basket (that hopefully someone on GSR will sell me) or if the skills required are withing the reach of a DIY welder/mechanic.

My question really centers (no pun intended) around the tools required for reassembly. Would i need any kind of exotic jig to align the backplate and secure it before welding. I presume the back plate is hub centric with the drive gear and basket, but is it press fit onto the drive gear?

Have people found a difference between MIG and TIG welding the rivets? im unsure of the alloy used in either, and APE refused to tell me.

-Zander

They sell the DIY kit, kinda wonder why they won't help you with advice on install.
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

My last email correspondance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
      tech@aperaceparts.com wrote:

These require a special fixture to hold the assembly clamped while welding. Not worth making one for one basket. Also rivets are oversize and the basket has to be reamed.

in response to my email:

Some specific questions about the DIY clutch hub rebuild kit (for a Suzuki GS1100). What material are the rivets and back plate fabricated from (im looking for the alloy composition or number). What process do you recommend for welding the rivets to the back plate (TIG?, MIG?).

Regards,
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im not convinced this special jig is anything more than a couple of large clamps. but thats just a hunch which is why i hoped to run it by the good members of GSR.

-Zander

Comment

Working...
      X