Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre '83 vs Post '83 GS1000 & GS1100 clutch differences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre '83 vs Post '83 GS1000 & GS1100 clutch differences.

I have heard numerous times from reputable sources around GSR that barnett "extra plate kits" have a tendancy to rapidly chew up clutch baskets and hubs. Upon inspection of my 40 000 mile '83 GS1100 i found significant damage to the stock baskets splines from the stock, original frictions.

Is this due to the fact that my '83 GS1100 has 10 frictions and 11 steels from the factory (ie: several extra plates)?

Or is the reputation of the barnett extra plate kits due to a factor other than the simple increase in number of plates?

I suppose what im getting at is when my strengthened, rebuilt hub arrives i would like to install frictions/steels that will impose the least wear/tear on the new basket. Should i go with a stock '83 clutch (11 steels, 10 frictions) or revert back to the 81-82 clutch setup (9 frictions, 9 steels)? the motor is completely stock so i dont require monster torque holding capacity.

-Zander

Zander, was you motor making a loud rattle and vibration at idle with the worn basket?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

does anyone know if shaft drive and chain drive clutches are the same on a gs 1000 ?

Comment

Go with your stock set up, but, before you spend the $$$ on new plates, get out the measuring tools and see what you've got

Steels - if they aren't warped, they'll last forever

Fibers - they will last a long time, more likely you'd just need to replace these

Definitely skip the Barnett - I just took mine out and went back to stock plates. Lots of clutch drag and very heavy pull with the Barnett, But, no significant basket damage on mine after 20,000 miles
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by the_zander View Post
          I have heard numerous times from reputable sources around GSR that barnett "extra plate kits" have a tendancy to rapidly chew up clutch baskets and hubs. Upon inspection of my 40 000 mile '83 GS1100 i found significant damage to the stock baskets splines from the stock, original frictions.

Is this due to the fact that my '83 GS1100 has 10 frictions and 11 steels from the factory (ie: several extra plates)?

Or is the reputation of the barnett extra plate kits due to a factor other than the simple increase in number of plates?

I suppose what im getting at is when my strengthened, rebuilt hub arrives i would like to install frictions/steels that will impose the least wear/tear on the new basket. Should i go with a stock '83 clutch (11 steels, 10 frictions) or revert back to the 81-82 clutch setup (9 frictions, 9 steels)? the motor is completely stock so i dont require monster torque holding capacity.

-Zander
          The only thing I have ever heard is the thinner fingers dig in more on the clutch basket. Doesnt matter if it is OE or Barnett

Comment

@ Mercaholic.
            The bike rattles mercilessly below 1200 rpm and shudders upon clutch engagment.

@ Posplayr.
            Thats what i expected, a decrease in the contact area between the plates and basket results in an increased pressure and increased aluminum deformation.

What are everyones impressions of the aftermarket frictions available? if i'm looking for the most street friendly clutch for a stock bike are stock frictions the best option?

-Zander

Comment

Working...
            X