Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question

Ok, so we cleaned the carbs by hand and dipped. All looked good there. Put em back on. Made sure that the air box was sealed and all boots were good. Bike fired up and ran ok. All cylinders fired and warmed together. Took her for a ride and she ran well. Now for the questions/concerns.

First, she still seems to be running rich or lean. Not sure actually. There is a heavy gas smell from the tailpipes. And she's still very cold blooded. Had trouble starting the other day. But when she takes she warms nice and even. My buddy ordered the sync tool but when it arrived it was the wrong one! It was a two cylinder not a four. So it hasn't been "synced" but it's set with the bench marks. But after she warms she idles at 1100 which is good. Could we have set it wrong? And now I may take it to a mechanic(not the one that had my bike last year for months) to sync.

We haven't attempted to adjust the valves yet or check the clearances. Could clearances cause any of the above?

I may buy a new petcock just as a safe measure. It seems to work ok but the tab is damn near impossible to turn by hand.

I've taken her for two longer rides. 50 miles and 70 miles. She runs, shifts, and handles well. But now my concern. At about 3500-4000rpm and beyond there is a bad vibration while under load. Its especially noticeable while at highway speeds. But if I pull the clutch in the vibration goes away. The vibrating is felt mainly in the foot pegs. So I'm assuming its a clutch thing. It rolls out nice in first and nothing outworldy wrong. No clanking in the clutch or even the motor. Just at speed. Is this normal? It has new tires, chain, and sprockets. Fluids have all been changed and filters are new. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The bike is an 82 GS750T.
    And we're getting closer to a problem free beauty! Thanks for all the help everyone

Valve Clearance adjustments are one of the biggest reasons for hard starting. Check and adjust them and then synch the carbs. If you thoroughly dipped the carbs based on the guide here then turn your mixture screws to 3 turns out before starting and adjust from there with the highest idle method described on Basscliff's site.

The vibrating is not totally normal and I'll bet it will figure itself out once the above is done.

The petcock could be bad or could just need a cleaning out. Remove it, blow the mechanism out, replace the oring with a good Viton one and reinstall. If it is indeed bad though you'll want a new one and not the rebuild kit.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The clutch nut can come loose despite having a locking tab on the washer

Pull down the clutch and check that center nut - retorque as necessary

Do the valves - I'll bet most of your running issues will go away
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you guys! I'll check it all. And it's supposed to be 3 turns out? Should I do that then sync? Or is that where they should be set? And highest idle method? Ill look at his page again. And would the loose nut cause the problems with the vibrating only when under load? And is that in the manual from BassCliffs page? I downloaded em all so I'll look at em tonight. I really appreciate the replies. It's a big help.

Comment

Set it at 3 turns then synch then adjust them to the highest idle.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Ok, that'll be the baseline we use. I believe we did 2 and 1/4. I thought we saw that in the Clymer or some other text. Now I have one more possible stupid question.

I've been starting the bike and letting it run once or twice a day. Just for kicks really. But I've noticed that on the ground under the bike directly in the middle there was a stain. So I put down a paper to see. Checked today and nothing. Started it up and I noticed a fluid dripping on both sides of the bike. So I took a look. Its coming from the exhaust at the exact same spot on both pipes at the coupler. The fluid is dirty gold colored but doesn't smell like much. I'm sure its just moisture but I'm curious if this is normal. I haven't seen it before this but maybe I wasn't looking. Thank you again everyone for the replies. Its helpful and encouraging. I'm really enamored with the bike and its my pride and joy. Its the one thing that survived my divorce =)

Comment

Scratch that. It is just moisture. Took her for a quick ride. No more "fluid". Feel kind of dumb but hey, now I know

Comment

When doing the valve adjustments, where is the best place to get the replacement gasket? Or even a complete set that includes any halfmoon, O-rings, and the gasket would be better?

Comment

Get it from your local motorcycle parts house or from any of the vendors that sell parts.

Did you read through ALL of Basscliff's site? It lists several vendors in there.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I read through all carb, valve clearance, and owners and shop manuals. Hadn't looked for vendors but we have a Suzuki dealer in town and I'll just order them from them. Was just wondering if they're was a preffered and trusted site or vendor. That would make sure everything was included for the job. I'll call them tomorrow and order up the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by mjremington View Post
                      I read through all carb, valve clearance, and owners and shop manuals. Hadn't looked for vendors but we have a Suzuki dealer in town and I'll just order them from them. Was just wondering if they're was a preffered and trusted site or vendor. That would make sure everything was included for the job. I'll call them tomorrow and order up the parts.
                      Look on BassCliff's "Welcome" page, there is a list of vendors, some with commentaries.

Don't count on a vendor or a dealer to automatically provide everything you need to do the job.
                      Every one of them will do their best to give you exactly what you order.
                      If you don't order it, they have no idea whether you need it or not.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well ordered the gasket kit yesterday. As well as dropped my bike off at the shop. The shop put the front tire on in the wrong tread rotation! I swear they must hate me! Anyway the gasket and stuff was ordered but the parts guy asked about shims. I've read and re-read the valve clearance info on BC's site but it makes no mention of shims on the 16 valve(like mine) but it does on the 8. So I didn't order shims. Should I have?

Comment

Working...
                        X