Noob question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob question

how do i check the oil level on a 79 GS750? the bike has had some serious messing with over the years so there is no tool kit with it which is where i suspect the dipstick is. does anyone have another way to check the level?

anyone have a template that i can transfer to plastic or something?

thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM.

Originally posted by gmoore View Post
    how do i check the oil level on a 79 GS750? the bike has had some serious messing with over the years so there is no tool kit with it which is where i suspect the dipstick is. does anyone have another way to check the level?

thanks
    Dipstick? I know of no such thing....
    Put your motorcycle on the centerstand, there is a round sight glass on the lower right side of the engine. That is where you check the oil level. It should be visible somewhere in the sight glass, otherewise it's overfilled or too low.
    I hope you're not missing the oil fill cap. I don't know what the tool kit has to do with it either.

Comment

I'm probably saying this about the one model that doesn't have it but...

There should be a sight glass on the lower rear of the right side clutch cover (where the oil fill is). The oil level is checked there with the bike straight upright, like on the center stand. Full is near the top of the window. If you can see oil in the window on the side stand it's way over full

Usually for oil check the motor should be warm but motor has not been run for a few minutes so the head oil can drain back into the crank case.

Comment

My '79 GS1000 has a window on the clutch cover, bottom right side of engine. No dipstick, just a cap. Don't know if the 750 is the same. Window and oil may be dirty and level hard to read. If you can't see through it, have some one tilt the bike to the left side and watch for the level to drop. I just removed my clutch cover to clean the window.

Comment

Working...
        X