Cam lobe wear-- Opinions please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam lobe wear-- Opinions please!!

56k on my bike and was past due for valve cover gaskets. My pants have a permanent oil spot on them!

While there I figured to measure valve clearances using the famous zip tie method. While there, I couldn't help but notice the wear patterns on the cam lobes. Interested in some opinions on the wear. Good, bad, normal, what?

I'm an engine rookie, so any opinions are appreciated. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pictures. Hope you can see the wear I'm asking about. I'd be happy to take some real camera pictures if need be.

Thanks in advance!

Better pics would help, as the surface is not very clear, but they look fine to me, I do not see any abnormal wear on there at all.

Now this is what a worn camshaft looks like

Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Better pics would help, but wear on the lobes looks normal. Is that rust on the cam in the 2nd pic?

Comment

They're fine.

Adjust the valves, put on a new gasket and ride !!!!
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          They're fine.

Adjust the valves, put on a new gasket and ride !!!!

That's what I suspected, but getting a second opinion is always a good idea!!

Thanks a ton!!

Brian

Comment

I'd be a little concerned as there no oil in the pocket around the cam bucket in the photo. Did you clean the oil out or was it like that when you lifted the rocker cover?

If it was like that I'd check the oil ways for supply issues as that cam will wear away very quickly without oil. the main issues with camshaft wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
              I'd be a little concerned as there no oil in the pocket around the cam bucket in the photo. Did you clean the oil out or was it like that when you lifted the rocker cover?

If it was like that I'd check the oil ways for supply issues as that cam will wear away very quickly without oil. the main issues with camshaft wear.
              My goodness you have sharp eyes!
              It had been on it's kickstand for about a week free flowing oil out the left side.
              There seemed plenty of oil in there.
              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X