Clutch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch problem

Hey guys, Bought a 1978 GS750E a week and a half ago and have been getting it road worthy with new sprockets, chain, re-sealed the airbox, plugs, oil, recharged the filter, and so on...

Well got the bike some what back together, but the clutch is not engaging/disengaging. The clutch worked fine before I took it apart but now nothing. I replaced the cable cuz im sure it was the original, had to take off the sprocket cover and the arm that engages the clutch and Im positive thats where my problem lies. I never touched the actual clutch basket just this arm on the sprocket side.

I put the arm back on and it moves very freely with no engaging or disengaging of the clutch, I was messing around with it tightening and loosening the clutch rod and its either too loose where its moves too freely or tight to where it wont move.

I need some insight on how to get this working, is there any special way? Thanks

You have to get it in the right spot... basically so it's "just about" to start pulling on the clutch when the lever is fully released.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ride_002000,

Oh my, here you are with 9 posts already and I haven't said "hello". You can find lots of documentation for your bike on my little website (although my ISP seems to be having some difficulties at the moment).

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Basscliff, I actually have your site bookmarked on my computer. It has helped me out quite a bit.

Comment

As Dan said, the problem is the arm in the left side cover

Reset it
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            As Dan said, the problem is the arm in the left side cover

Reset it

Tryin, its not working out so well