Adjusting cam timing on GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    That brown stuff that used to spray out carbs, might be now causing one or more of the vacuum slides to stick. It doesn't take much to interfere with their desired operation. I spray mine with silicone, hoping that any crap will fall away. Yours might improve with more running- lots of stuff does!
    Good point - still not sure what the brown stuff was (condensation from homemade manometer + oil?). Actually. the vacuum slide in my Carb #2 isn't working great anyway. It doesn't have anywhere near the damping that my others do. I re-positioned the diaphragm and it helped a little but I should look for a replacement.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    Me, I'd put at least 1k on this engine before contemplating fine tuning.
    Oh okay - somewhere I had read that a lean condition could cause things to get too hot / burn valves / etc. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making things worse.

It looks like the bike is going to run though so my next step will probably be new tires. I had been holding off until I was sure the bike didn't have MAJOR issues. The tires that came with the bike still have decent tread but they have date codes from 1996 I think

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
      Good point - still not sure what the brown stuff was (condensation from homemade manometer + oil?). Actually. the vacuum slide in my Carb #2 isn't working great anyway. It doesn't have anywhere near the damping that my others do. I re-positioned the diaphragm and it helped a little but I should look for a replacement.

Oh okay - somewhere I had read that a lean condition could cause things to get too hot / burn valves / etc. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making things worse.

It looks like the bike is going to run though so my next step will probably be new tires. I had been holding off until I was sure the bike didn't have MAJOR issues. The tires that came with the bike still have decent tread but they have date codes from 1996 I think
      Or the tires could be 1986! No high speed for you till you get new ones unless you're desperately seeking excitement.
      You probably would notice a lean condition, so have less fear. You got valves adjusted (and cams too! )and carbs cleaned- you're in good shape. Exhaust valves need to contact their seats in between strokes to cool off or they can burn up.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X