Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing

Hi guys, my question is about my '78 GS550E. From your experience, if intake cam is one pin off since there are 19 pins between the 2 and 3 marks, would that affect the engine a lot and warrant the tensioner/cam chain/cam shaft procedure? Thanks!

Yes! Need to retime it. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I thought so. Thanks Ray!

Comment

Your valves will be out enough to wreck the motor!

Comment

Thanks Suzuki mad! That bad? Bought it in April part basket case for 300. Never started or rode it yet. Since then, I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and clutch, checked valve clearance and replaced some shims,replaced petcock with new manual one, and new air filter. PO, who got it to make a racer out of it, said he could not even make it idle right and there is cam chain noise.Bike sat in a shed for years. Now I can suspect that the cam chain timing might be the culprit for the rough running and noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
            Well member scott could tell you otherwise! enjoy his fun in this same category!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Timing

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Well member scott could tell you otherwise! enjoy his fun in this same category!
              Its a privilege to get to know you guys !

Comment

Wow. That's a first on me.

Comment

Wow. That's a first on me.
                  All I can say is my cam timing is off on both exhaust and intake. Somehow, the bike did run like this. I don't know if it was some bizarre synergy of the degrees that each cam was off or what.

I also can't say for sure it didn't do some kind of damage. I'm in the process of correcting it so we'll see what kind of difference it makes.

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                    All I can say is my cam timing is off on both exhaust and intake. Somehow, the bike did run like this. I don't know if it was some bizarre synergy of the degrees that each cam was off or what.

I also can't say for sure it didn't do some kind of damage. I'm in the process of correcting it so we'll see what kind of difference it makes.
                    Enough with the negative vibes! If a valve have been hitting a piston, you would have noticed it long ago. Play with cam chain tensioner before you reinstall it, so you fully understand how it works when correctly installed- note that sliding shaft (once unlocked) can ONLY move out and not in.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Enough with the negative vibes! If a valve have been hitting a piston, you would have noticed it long ago. Play with cam chain tensioner before you reinstall it, so you fully understand how it works when correctly installed- note that sliding shaft (once unlocked) can ONLY move out and not in.
                      Ha - wasn't trying to be negative. Just not confident enough to say everything was running great with the mis-timed cams. As it's my first bike, I get excited just when it moves forward!

Comment

Working...
                      X