My bike randomly just shut off today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike randomly just shut off today

So i was riding today and my hand was on the clutch. Next thing i know my bike just shut off. I kept the clutch held in and turned the key from on to off to on again and restarted my bike while i was still moving. The bike started right up and i didnt do it again for the next fifteen minuets i was on it. However, now im kinda wondering if this is gonna be a common thing. If my hand wasnt on the clutch and the bike just shut down like it did (dashlights went off and everything) will the gears lock up and just throw me off the bike? i was in 3rd by the way. Feedback from all is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

If the engine quits, and isn't seized, the engine braking will slow you down fairly gently. It won't throw you off the bike.

My first thought is something electrical. Take off the tank, seat, and side covers and go over all the wiring to look for frayed, broken, melted wires or connectors. Check the fuse box for loose fuse connections. Let's hope it's not an intermittent igniter.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thank you cliff, your always very helpful.

Comment

Morning all,

My now sold 1000 used to do the same thing, my 850 did it to me once and would not restart- it turned out on both bikes to be a dry joint on the main fuse at the fuse box. Pull off the fuse box and resolder all the main positive wires and check all other connectors. Dry joints are not easy to rectify and happens as a result of age of the solder. The factory solder is excellent, but remember they were done in some case 32 years ago!

some blokes have done a new fuse box with spade type fuses, good idea to do as well.

Comment

Could be a dry joint, but.........

Is the bike still running with points or has it been converted to an electronic ignition?

After I converted my 850, I had a similar problem. It would cut out completely until the key was turned off and then on again. It would fire straight up again and run for many hours before ever doing it again. After a period of weeks, the gap between the cut outs was getting closer together. It took me quite a while before I could track down the problem.

The Boyer Bransden installation kit didn't supply the suppressor caps. I bought 4 x 5000 ohm caps, but ended up with one rated at only 1000 ohms. It was this cap that caused interference with the processor unit, resulting in complete shut downs. Since replacing it, I haven't had any further problems.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X