Chain Lube..what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Lube..what do you use?

I replaced my chain tonite..had 7,000 miles on it and it was shot...non-oring and should have been done last year but didnt get around to it..I now have a brand new o-ring chain..all installed and ready for this week-ends ride..my question is...what do you all use for chain lube..I'm pretty picky about my stuff and religously pulled my old chain off cleaned it in solvent dried it and lubed it every 500 miles or so..have been using Maxima Chain Wax...doesnt fling off and seems to be a good lube...says its good for o-ring chains as well..just looking for opinions and info on caring for my new o-ring chain..(always had non o-ring) any tips would be great..Thanks.

DDM

Maxima Chain Wax. last DID 630 o-ring chain did 50,000klms and thats with burnout and wheelies.

Comment

I'd say Bel Ray Super clean is by far the best. it sprays on white and hardens, makes the chain look factory. and i like the way sharpy thinks
      Originally posted by tkent02
      That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
      John 3:16

Comment

I use Dupont Multi-Use Lubricant (Teflon) on my chain. Zero fling once dry. Get it at Lowes for 5 bucks.
        Ken

Comment

Another vote for DuPont Multi-Use Teflon here.

Comment

PJ1

(thats all I really wanted to post but it was too short)
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              PJ1

(thats all I really wanted to post but it was too short)

bah, quote was too short!
              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I use chain wax myself
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

WD 40. All it does is clean the dirt off and keep the O rings in good shape. The lube is sealed inside.

If there's no O rings, I don't oil them at all. Hopefully it will wear out sooner and be replaced by an O ring chain.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The only lube I have used on any of my chains for over 30 years has been 10w-40 engine oil.

But, then, my only chans have been cam chains, inside the engine.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
                      I replaced my chain tonite..had 7,000 miles on it and it was shot...non-oring and should have been done last year but didnt get around to it..I now have a brand new o-ring chain..all installed and ready for this week-ends ride..my question is...what do you all use for chain lube..I'm pretty picky about my stuff and religously pulled my old chain off cleaned it in solvent dried it and lubed it every 500 miles or so..have been using Maxima Chain Wax...doesnt fling off and seems to be a good lube...says its good for o-ring chains as well..just looking for opinions and info on caring for my new o-ring chain..(always had non o-ring) any tips would be great..Thanks.

DDM
                      Clean it with WD-40 and lube it with chain wax. The rollers on O-ring chains don't need the lube but the chain to spocket contact areas do.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Also using the maxima chain wax

Comment

Chain wax is less messy, but the wax doesn't lube for crap compared to an oil based lube (learned that using wax on bicycle chains which wear quickly).

As far as not needing lube, yea, the chain doesn't need anything on the inside but the outside of the rollers and the chain rings need lube.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So what do you recommend?

I'm using Maxima on my RD400, PJ1 on an old XT250, and Honda chain lube on the Skunk and misc. dual sports on OR. The different lubes are in diffreent states, and each is the one that cought my eye when I was shopping. I don't no what to get either.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Chain wax is less messy, but the wax doesn't lube for crap compared to an oil based lube (learned that using wax on bicycle chains which wear quickly).

As far as not needing lube, yea, the chain doesn't need anything on the inside but the outside of the rollers and the chain rings need lube.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Now that Kal-Gard makes a clear formulation of Chain-Kote I'm going to give it a try. I liked the original but it was messy; looked like I was using black spray paint. But it stayed put; you just needed to let the carrier evaproate before you hit the road (or trail).

@Ed - The wax probably didn't penetrate into the roller pins before it hardened. I use 3-in-1 or motor oil on a bicycle chain; sparingly of course.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X