No announcement yet.

Chain Lube..what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't take me wrong guys, I've used both wax and PJ1 Blue Label, which I think is a superior lubricant, but more messy. If you want to maximize life of the parts, use the real chain lube. For less mess, wax.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
      The rollers on O-ring chains don't need the lube but the chain to spocket contact areas do.
      I bet that stays on at least a quarter mile or so.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't know if it's the same with motorcycles but on my mountain bikes the transmission is noticeably noiser with wax. I've not used wax on a motorcycle, always used the PJ1 blue.
        I've read some reports lately about very long life of O ring chains being achieved with just regular application of WD40 - one report was a guy doing back to back with chain lube V WD40 & the WD40 won.

I think doing it regularly is probably the most important thing...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What ever you do DO NOT USE WD-40. WD-40 is a penetrant. It is about the only thing that can wash the sealed lube from inside your o-rings on your o-ring chain. Once gone, it cannot be replaced. When you clean the chain prior to lubing it, use kerosene. See my sig for a discussion on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

I've read some reports lately about very long life of O ring chains being achieved with just regular application of WD40 - one report was a guy doing back to back with chain lube V WD40 & the WD40 won.

I think doing it regularly is probably the most important thing...
            There was a guy named Cary who was one of the big Gurus over on a KLR 650 forum, kept very good records on his bikes. He rode a lot, and tested WD 40 against all the real chain lubes. On O ring chains, the WD 40 won.
            He got something like 30,000 miles on a chain, this was dirt and street riding both. It works for me. Clean and easy, and it works. Oh yeah, it's cheap too.
            Maybe some super duper expensive gooey stuff gets an extra thousand or so miles out of a chain, or maybe it's all hype. I don't really give a hoot.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I used maxima chain wax, its work good for me.This thing dosent fly which is good because i ride without a chain guard.
              Marc
              https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

I was once told by a guy (who is an electrician on submarines) that WD40 is basically kerosene in a spray can.

Does anyone know exactly what is in it?

Edit: I just checked the MDS sheet on the wd40 website. It isn't just kerosene and does contain a surfactant (<2% by volume). That would indicate that if it does seep past the o-rings it would remove the lube and shorten chain life.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The only lube I have used on any of my chains for over 30 years has been 10w-40 engine oil.

But, then, my only chans have been cam chains, inside the engine.

Stay focused Steve
                  I know it's hard
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                    I was once told by a guy (who is an electrician on submarines) that WD40 is basically kerosene in a spray can.

Does anyone know exactly what is in it?

Edit: I just checked the MDS sheet on the wd40 website. It isn't just kerosene and does contain a surfactant (<2% by volume). That would indicate that if it does seep past the o-rings it would remove the lube and shorten chain life.
                    WD stands for Water Displacement. 40 means it was the 40th compound tried; the first 39 did not do the job. It was designed to displace water on the part sprayed, and it works. I once revived a 1965 Olds Delta 88 by spraying WD-40 in the distributor cap. It fired right up and I drove it home.
                    Use a product that is designed from the ground up to lubricate and protect. A can of chain wax is $10, less if you use the generic Teflon mentioned at the beginning of this thread.( I have no personal knowledge of this product.) A chain is normally over $100, and the sprockets add to the cost (they should be replaced at the same time). Spend the time and money up front for the right product. I have adjusted my chain 3 times in the last 15K miles, and it looks like it has another 30k or more left in it.
                    O.K., I am off my soap box now.

Comment

The service manual recommends heavy weight motor oil at intervals of 600 miles for my bikes. So I use 90 weight between the chain rollers and sprocket teeth, and on the outside PJ1, enough to keep it from rusting.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Maxima chain wax +1

Why is it the shaft bike guys always chime in on the chain threads?

They must be jealous or something else
                        It isn't like the chain guys chime in on shaft questions....

Comment

I use kerosene in a spray bottle and a soft rag to wipe it off and then I apply some 90W gear oil. The oil is not so much to lube it but to carry dirt as it flings off. If you have an o-ring chain you don't need to lube it, just clean it once in a while. I usually do this around the time I change the oil.

Comment

CRC tac2 10 bucks a can (everythings a ripp off here in australia)
                            Makes a mess but does the trick
                            I use it as often as i can and give the rear wheel a wipe occasionally and a good clean when I get a new tyre (tire)
                            I never clean my chain.

Comment

Not cleaning or lubing the chain is actually good for the bike. It insures that the bike gets a new chain and sprockets much sooner.
                              OTOH, I picked up some of that DuPont Teflon at Lowes. $5.08 for an 11 oz. aerosol can. Since it is multi-purpose I am going to use it on my garage door rollers first.

Comment

Working...
                              X