Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjust calculations look right?

Hello,

I have my 1982 GS1100GL that has not had a check up in probably 15k miles.

I used Steve's guide to figure out which shims I need.

Only problem is my feeler gauge only goes down to .0015 instead of .001. I am on the hunt for a slimmer one but so far I've just assigned .001 is going to fit.

But what do you think about my conclusions so far? Am I on the right track as far as swapping the shims around? If I play the swap around game it looks like I only need these three: 2.45, 2.5 and a 2.65

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
    Valve adjust calculations look right?
    NO.

You did not enter them correctly.

For Exhaust #4, why did you enter "0.0025"? The directions very clearly state that you do NOT enter the leading zeroes and only enter the thousandths. That should have been entered as "2.5".

For Exhaust #1-3, you apparently did it correctly if you had less than your thinnest shim, which is usually a 1.5 thousandths (0.0015").

You apparently entered Intake #2 correctly, then messed up again on Intakes 1,3 and 4.

If you re-enter them following the directions, you will get a better idea.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK I will try again, thank you!

Comment

OK, here is the new corrected sheet. Is it all OK now?

Thanks!

Comment

OK, here we go,

I think I just need a 2.5 and two 2.65 shims.

Green means no change needed., Yellow indicates where I can reuse a shim, i.e., move it from 2I to 3E.

Better?

Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2011, 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Dumb question: If I enter a clearance less than 1/1000 the "Needed shim" value does not change. What if the clearance is zero?

Thanks!

Comment

OK, here we go,

I think I just need a 2.5 and two 2.65 shims.

Green means no change needed., Yellow indicates where I can reuse a shim, i.e., move it from 2I to 3E.

Better?

Except for the typo mistake on #1 intake ( the 2.65 you need should be on #1 exhaust), we came to this conclusion ourselves. You should only be changing 3 shims, and reusing #2 intake at #3 exhaust.

The spreadsheet thing gives me a headache (no offense to Steve).

Comment

Dumb question: If I enter a clearance less than 1/1000 the "Needed shim" value does not change. What if the clearance is zero?

Thanks!
                "Does not change" from what? Anything less than 0.0012" is less than the specified clearance and requres a shim change. Most "inch" feeler gauge sets only go down to 0.0015", so you really can't even measure the minimum clearance. Since changing one shim size will take you to the top of the range, it is no problem.

How can you measure "zero clearance"? Does not really matter. If it's less than the specified clearance, you are not going to be able to measure it, as you have no feelers that thin. Generally accepted practice is, if you can still rotate the bucket, you at least have some clearance, so one shim size will probably put you in range. If you can't easily spin the bucket, it's because the cam is pushing down on it, so it will probably require two shim sizes.

By the way, do not enter a zero, it will not recognize it.

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                The spreadsheet thing gives me a headache (no offense to Steve).
                That's OK, Tom, it's not for everybody. I have found it very useful, so I have offered it to others.

So far, I have sent out 500 copies to users in 14 countries. There have been a few glitches like this one, but basically no complaints.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Zero would seem to make sense when you cannot spin the bucket, which I had at least one (that is a great tip by the way!)

Thanks

Comment

Well, since you can't otherwise estimate how many shims sizes you might have to change, AND the fact that you can not successfully enter a "ZERO" in the spreadsheet, simply entering a "1" will tell it that you have insufficient clearance. The spin test will give you an idea whether it's one or more sizes. The only way to tell for sure is to have a "checking shim" that is several sizes too small. Measure the extra clearance, enter that and the shim size, it will return the proper value as long as it's not more than SIX shim sizes.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Generally accepted practice is, if you can still rotate the bucket, you at least have some clearance, so one shim size will probably put you in range. If you can't easily spin the bucket, it's because the cam is pushing down on it, so it will probably require two shim sizes.

The zip tie was holding the valve open while we were trying to spin the bucket to get the slot at the top. No downward pressure on the valve. I can't remember which, but two buckets were particularly difficult to rotate. Eventually we persuaded both of them.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The only way to tell for sure is to have a "checking shim" that is several sizes too small. Measure the extra clearance, enter that and the shim size, it will return the proper value as long as it's not more than SIX shim sizes.

It would have been most convenient if we had more of a selection of spare shims. Luckily GP Sports is just a mile or so from Bob's house.

Comment

Working...
                      X