i suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i suck

Hopefully you fine gentleman can help me with whats going on. So I was on my way back from a pretty lengthy trip and as i was coming to a red light i do my normal downshift and front braking. and as i get to second gear i noticed that the clutch lever no longer comes up, almost as if the clutch is still engaged, and will not disengage. I eventually got the bike home seeing as i could shift with pressing the clutch in any longer, since it is engaged i am guessing? so i took off the clutch cable and it doesnt seem torn or overstretched, but maybe i am wrong. i even went as far as taking off the case and seeing if something had gone wrong inside. anyways i have pictures attached to here just in case anyone can help me with this problem. thank you for your help everyone.

Originally posted by frankTHEtank View Post
    Hopefully you fine gentleman can help me with whats going on. So I was on my way back from a pretty lengthy trip and as i was coming to a red light i do my normal downshift and front braking. and as i get to second gear i noticed that the clutch lever no longer comes up, almost as if the clutch is still engaged, and will not disengage. I eventually got the bike home seeing as i could shift with pressing the clutch in any longer, since it is engaged i am guessing? so i took off the clutch cable and it doesnt seem torn or overstretched, but maybe i am wrong. i even went as far as taking off the case and seeing if something had gone wrong inside. anyways i have pictures attached to here just in case anyone can help me with this problem. thank you for your help everyone.
    This makes no sense, you have a hard lever that won't pull in?
    Or it comes all the way in but does nothing?
    Or maybe something else?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Should the shaft there have play? Or should it be stationary? Everything was fine for the whole trip. Bike ran beautifully, shifted fine. Had oil, fresh oil at that.

Comment

sounds to me that the clutch cable is unravelling inside the casement...does the link on top move when you squeeze the clutch lever?? Does is just feel like there isnt any pressure on the lever at all..very loose feeling?
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

thats clutch rod should wiggle around a bit..
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

by this i mean that the lever is all the way in but does nothing. like the lever has no "bounce" back.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            This makes no sense, you have a hard lever that won't pull in?
            Or it comes all the way in but does nothing?
            Or maybe something else?

Comment

Yeh most likely a cable is breaking down in there where you can't see it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

its probably snapped.

Comment

very loose indeed. there is not play in the lever at all. maybe i just need a new cable all together?

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  sounds to me that the clutch cable is unravelling inside the casement...does the link on top move when you squeeze the clutch lever?? Does is just feel like there isnt any pressure on the lever at all..very loose feeling?

Comment

god i suck at writing on this forum lol... i have 3 more pictures of the cable.

Comment

this is the opposite end of the cable.

Comment

Yes...nothing looka ascue in the clutch as it is pictured.. I will however make a suggestion since the cover is already off. Take the six bolts out of the front pressure plate and check the bog hub nut in the center of the clutch basket.. be sure it is tight and the locking washer is bent securely aginst one of the flats on the nut. Just a bit of maintenace you can do seeing that the cvoer is already off.. Do not remove any of the clutch plates..just the pressure plate and inspect the hub nut.

Comment

Thank you. I will go ahead now and check it out now. Do those six bolts need to be torqued to a specific pressure when going back on? Thank you so much again.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Yes...nothing looka ascue in the clutch as it is pictured.. I will however make a suggestion since the cover is already off. Take the six bolts out of the front pressure plate and check the bog hub nut in the center of the clutch basket.. be sure it is tight and the locking washer is bent securely aginst one of the flats on the nut. Just a bit of maintenace you can do seeing that the cvoer is already off.. Do not remove any of the clutch plates..just the pressure plate and inspect the hub nut.

Comment

Yup its broke...if you pull on that barrel shaped end the entire cable will come out..theres supposed to be a connector on the bottom end that hooks to the actuating lever down on the clutch cover

Comment

YES>>>like 6 or 8 ft lbs.. go to BIKECLIFF and there are free downloads for lots of bikes...see if the service manual for your is there.

Comment

Working...
                              X