Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another new guy with a "clacking" sound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new guy with a "clacking" sound!

Hi all, I have a 1979 GS1000E that recently received a combination motor (1979 top end, just rebuilt and mounted on a 1980 lower end that I bought from a friend).

I put the motor back in the bike and buttoned everything together.

During my test spin, I heard a "clacking" sound. Originally, I thought that it was the chain slapping against the engine case, so I made sure that the drive sprocket was spaced properly, and still the "clacking" sound.

It seems to happen only when the clutch is engaged. The sound is a consistent clacking, not correlated to speed - meaning that it doesn't change speed as the bike speed changes. It does seem to get louder as the speed increases, but not faster.

Also, when I pull in the clutch lever while it's moving, the clacking stops. So it seems to be related to the chain, transmission or clutch.

The sound seems to come from the left side of the motor - maybe a little in front of my left leg.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a standard case of a clutch basket with all of the backing plate springs loose! Pull the clutch hub out (behind the inner hub), turn it over & look at the springs in the back of it. If the springs are loose, there is your issue. Ray.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. khshattuck,

These are the springs Ray is talking about:

Quick Temporary Clutch Rattle Repair
      - A pictorial guideby Mr. tkent02, PDF file (2MB)

Some have had the clutch baskets welded and installed heavy duty APE springs. But if you're only riding on the street (not drag racing), a new set of OEM springs should be enough.

Now let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Sounds like a standard case of a clutch basket with all of the backing plate springs loose! Pull the clutch hub out (behind the inner hub), turn it over & look at the springs in the back of it. If the springs are loose, there is your issue. Ray.
        Sorry to intrude. I only do so because, after checking a couple manuals for my 79 GS750, I am unclear where the clutch hub is in relation to the piece that has the oem clutch springs I'm supposed to replace is located Or are they the same thing? I am replacing my clutch springs as they're 30 years old, and would like to check to see if my noise at 4500 rpm's is due to the clutch hub springs, as per rapidray's description. I've never ripped into a bike clutch before and want to be 100% sure where those backing springs are located. I checked the fisches and parts catalogs and am still unsure: are the backing springs installed on the hub that the new clutch springs will go into, or are they deeper than that? There is a discontinued part in bikebandit's fisch #1058960...is this where I look? I did look at basscliff's site and tutorials regarding clutch work and am unable to find a comfortable answer for my question. Could someone give me a step by step as to how to get to these backing plate springs on the clutch hub? Yes, I am a newb, and appreciate the help. The tutorials have all helped me get a grip on this great bike and I've used basscliff's list to address the "common issues" but I'm at a loss on this one.

Comment

You have to remove the outer clutch basket off to see the springs, look here:

Comment

The Alpha Sports fiche doesn't show the backing plate or the springs prone to rattling at least not in the clutch section of the fiche. Is there some other section where it might be shown? I couldn't find it.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
              The Alpha Sports fiche doesn't show the backing plate or the springs prone to rattling at least not in the clutch section of the fiche. Is there some other section where it might be shown? I couldn't find it.
              You cant order parts of the basket, only the entire basket. Did you look at the link I posted?

Comment

Thanks, yes I looked and bookmarked it but was just wondering if the springs could be ordered. I was hoping I might find a tutorial somewhere that would walk me through the disassembly. Found this http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=clutch+hub which helps alot. My clutch is behaving but I have a rattle I suspect is from there. Being a little mechanically challenged, I've been reluctant to get in there without some pics because the clutch is working okay.
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I dont think they make a rebuild kit anymore for the 1000.
                  On my 750, I removed the backing plate with an angle grinder, then shimmed the springs with washers, used three c-clamps to hold it together and had it rewelded. Much like the guy in the link did. With my 1100, I bought the HD kit and rebuilt it that way. Talk to APE, maybe they will sell just the springs

If you can live the noise then fine. But the basket can explode at high rpms and trash the engine.

Comment

Surely if the clutch springs were toast, the clutch would be slipping or otherwise misbehaving? Are you hearing this sound when the bike is on a stand and running free? Or are you actually hearing it on the road?
                    S.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
                      Surely if the clutch springs were toast, the clutch would be slipping or otherwise misbehaving? Are you hearing this sound when the bike is on a stand and running free? Or are you actually hearing it on the road?
                      S.
                      You're confusing the backing plate springs with the actuating springs. Check the posted link
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                      X