Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud engine squeal at low rpm

Hello all,
    After using combustion chamber cleaner and freeing the rings, I took my 83 GS705ES out for a ride and it got all that crap out of its exhaust pipe and now doesn't smoke, etc. But it does have a pronounced squeal at idle and especially when I first rev it, at very low rpm. The squealing clears up once it's up around 2,500 to 3,000 rpm.
    I put a screwdriver to the cases and valve cover, cyl. head, on various points around the engine and heard only the smooth running of valves, lifters, pistons, crank, etc but no squealing. It seems to be coming from the front left side of the engine/trans combo, as far as I can tell.
    Anyone have any idea what's would make a squealing noise in this area?
    thanks in advance,
    baz

Try disconnecting the tach cable from the head to see if that's it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Before I had no compression and that's now solved.
      I took the valve cover off and the problem now is the exhaust camshaft's not getting any oil, it's dry. The crank turns stiffly when it reaches the mark on the generator face, which I think is TDC, right?
      I'm thinking I didn't bolt down the ex. camshaft equally.
      Any ideas?
      thanks,
      baz

Comment

If you re torqued the bolts you should be fine !!! Did you have the clutch apart ?? If so maybe the oil pump gears are not aligned.. Do you get any oil from the sending unit if you remove it ?

Comment

No, clutch was not apart. The intake camshaft is getting oil fine. I'll try your suggestion with the oil sending unit.
          thanks,
          baz

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Try disconnecting the tach cable from the head to see if that's it.
            It has an electric tach, that is not it
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Does your have the gear in place for a mechanical tach but uses the electronic one? If so check the housing on the right side of cyl 3 in the front. Mine was loose and squealed like a pig.

Comment

Electronic tach on it, no squealing from there.
                Check that the starter is disengaging.
                Squealing from an engine is bad, the only thing I have never really stressed about was a squealing belt. so now does it make the noise when on the side stand or upright, did you mess with the cam chain adjuster, and maybe it is too tight.....

Comment

Working...
                X