Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting the valves- went one size up and it still wasn't enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting the valves- went one size up and it still wasn't enough?

Hey guys, so I'm starting to not get overwhelmed by this bike anymore. It seems that there is a proper approach and system to this and I'd like to have everything in line one at a time so I know that my GS is 100%! After this comes syncing the carbs and finally possibly adjusting the idle screws in the carbs.

Anyways, I started doing the valves on my bike and I measured all 8 valves. One was .08mm, one was .06mm, a bunch were .04mm, and 3 were under .04mm (smallest one I had) so I decided to change them.

After I got one size under shims for each one, they STILL would not clearance my .04mm feeler gauge. Thinking this was odd, I went back and measured the others, and they were just like I had measured them.

Now, when I take the shim out, there is most certainly clearance there, but what would cause the .05mm shim to still make the clearance under .04mm? It seems almost impossible. The only way I'm thinking that this could have happened is if possibly the previous owner put the wrong shims in?

TIA,
    Clint

What size shims do you have in each cylinder? Are you also using Steve's worksheet?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Do you have a caliper and are you measuring the shims?

If there's not enough clearance, go down another size

Are you using Steve's spreadsheet?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

They can have negative clearance cold. Did you try turning the buckets to see if they could? If they can't you certainly have negative clearance. Have you tried turning the motor over a couple of times by hand to see if the shims seat down a bit?

It's often recommended to have a very thin "measuring shim" of for just such occasions.

Comment

Many owners abuse their bikes and never adjust the valves. The clearance goes down as the valve hammers into the valve seat and eventually the valve never closes and burns.

Your bike has been abused in the past as evidence of the lack of clearance on those valves. If the next step smaller shim doesn't put the clearance in spec, you have no option but to go down one more size and try again.

Many experienced GS mechanics have a thin "checking shim" in the tool box for occasions such as you are experiencing: install the thin shim, measure the clearance, then calculate the proper shim to get the clearance in spec.

Good luck.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i had same thing happen to me--had to go down 2 sizes on like 3 valves to get good clearance on them---just go down another size and save those shims you dont use for next time

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Are you also using Steve's worksheet?
              Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Are you using Steve's spreadsheet?
              Seems to be a general theme here. read my sig.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              ... If the next step smaller shim doesn't put the clearance in spec, you have no option but to go down one more size and try again.

Many experienced GS mechanics have a thin "checking shim" in the tool box for occasions such as you are experiencing: install the thin shim, measure the clearance, then calculate the proper shim to get the clearance in spec.
              If you don't have a "checking shim" (yet), a quick check is to see if the bucket will turn easily. If it will turn, there is at least some clearance, so one shim size will probably do it. If it takes a lot of effort to turn, you will need to drop two or more sizes, there is no way to tell without changing and measuring.

Just for information, my spreadsheet will handle a "checking shim" up to SIX sizes smaller than what is necessary, but there is no way to guess how many sizes to change if it is too tight.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Many owners abuse their bikes and never adjust the valves. The clearance goes down as the valve hammers into the valve seat and eventually the valve never closes and burns.

Your bike has been abused in the past as evidence of the lack of clearance on those valves. If the next step smaller shim doesn't put the clearance in spec, you have no option but to go down one more size and try again.

Good luck.
                Well that sounds like fun! Glad to know the bike's been beaten up. It was $500 so I can't complain that much. Plus, if everything worked great, I wouldn't be able to learn right?

Originally posted by esj001 View Post
                i had same thing happen to me--had to go down 2 sizes on like 3 valves to get good clearance on them---just go down another size and save those shims you dont use for next time
                Well it's nice to know someone else had this problem. I was pretty worried
                Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If you don't have a "checking shim" (yet), a quick check is to see if the bucket will turn easily. If it will turn, there is at least some clearance, so one shim size will probably do it. If it takes a lot of effort to turn, you will need to drop two or more sizes, there is no way to tell without changing and measuring.

Just for information, my spreadsheet will handle a "checking shim" up to SIX sizes smaller than what is necessary, but there is no way to guess how many sizes to change if it is too tight.

Steve, what position are you referring to when talking about turning the bucket? Like should it turn when the lobe is on it? Or when the shim is out? etc. Thanks again

I'm already somewhat worried because one of the slots in the bucket was submerged under some oil so it was tough to get to, and I remember having a tough time trying to spin it around so I just gave up.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Sorry to jump in and speak for Steve, but basically he is saying that if you can turn the bucket with your finger when the cam is in the proper adjustment position that means there is some clearance (above zero). In that case it's a reasonable guess that changing to one size smaller shim will put the valve in spec even if you can't get your feeler gauge in to measure the clearance.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sorry to jump in and speak for Steve, but basically he is saying that if you can turn the bucket with your finger when the cam is in the proper adjustment position that means there is some clearance (above zero). In that case it's a reasonable guess that changing to one size smaller shim will put the valve in spec even if you can't get your feeler gauge in to measure the clearance.
                    I see. So it's not a HUGE deal if the bucket won't move, just won't be as easy.. That's fine. I might try to see if I can get a caliper in there. If I can't just more guessing

Comment

You're not understanding it, the shim spinning thing is just to tell you how much smaller you need to go... If the shim spins, you need to go one size smaller, if it is too tight to spin, go two sizes smaller. You still need a caliper to see how thick the one is that's in there now. Take the shim out, measure thickness with the caliper, get one the right size, install it and check the clearance again.

If it is way too tight, you may need to use the zip tie technique to get the shim out.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Which method are you using for taking the measurements?

The Clymer method is inaccurate and might be part of your problem. I got whacky clearance results from it.

The better method is in the Service Manual. It involves fewer turns of the crankshaft, is faster and more accurate. win-win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          You're not understanding it, the shim spinning thing is just to tell you how much smaller you need to go... If the shim spins, you need to go one size smaller, if it is too tight to spin, go two sizes smaller. You still need a caliper to see how thick the one is that's in there now. Take the shim out, measure thickness with the caliper, get one the right size, install it and check the clearance again.

If it is way too tight, you may need to use the zip tie technique to get the shim out.
                          I understood that, the buckets still aren't moving so I'm gonna try 2 smaller on each

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                          Which method are you using for taking the measurements?

The Clymer method is inaccurate and might be part of your problem. I got whacky clearance results from it.

The better method is in the Service Manual. It involves fewer turns of the crankshaft, is faster and more accurate. win-win-win.
                          I looked at the service manual and the write-up on BassCliff's site

Another general question, What do you all do about the cam lobes spinning when the shim is out? Like when I need to pull all 3 shims out to exchange them, so I need to turn the crank over with the shim removed
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Never turn the crank without shims in the buckets. Only replace one at a time.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you're going to spin the cams with the shims out you need to replace the shims with something. I've got some foreign coins that fit spot on for the job. Handy when playing musical chairs with the shims.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X