82 gs750 oil light problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs750 oil light problem

My 82 has similar problem, but I get an intermittent flickering of the oil light while driving anywhere between 45-60 mph. If I downshift and the rpm's go up it usually goes away. It was mentioned in a thread to check the oil pressure; what's the best way to do this. I too wan't to decipher if its' the switch or pump. The bike has 41K miles and I have been giving it much TLC; it's actually running very well outside a little smoke at start up.

Thanks

Originally posted by mret430 View Post
    My 82 has similar problem, but I get an intermittent flickering of the oil light while driving anywhere between 45-60 mph. If I downshift and the rpm's go up it usually goes away. It was mentioned in a thread to check the oil pressure; what's the best way to do this. I too wan't to decipher if its' the switch or pump. The bike has 41K miles and I have been giving it much TLC; it's actually running very well outside a little smoke at start up.

Thanks

Looks to me from alpha-sports parts diagrams that you can pull oil switch easy. Low pressure ( maybe 8 psi ) switches can get gummed up- try cleaning it. At 41k, maybe oil pump is tired, but I'd have a go at switch first.

Update>> Me wrong again! Looks like you have high pressure oil system like my 650 shafty- probably 50 psi. I'd still clean switch, but you have plain bearings which need lots of oil.
    Last edited by tom203; 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM. Reason: me wrong
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X