gs650 vs 850 final drive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650 vs 850 final drive question

I searched but couldn't find any info. Does anyone know what the final drive ratios are for a 650 and 850 shaft drive? Or if they can be swapped? I'm looking to lower the cruising rpm on my 650. Thanks for any input.

Must
    resist
    chain
    versus
    shaft
    comment...

Comment

Those rear ends are not interchangeable.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        Must
        resist
        chain
        versus
        shaft
        comment...
        OK, Kid, I'll have to goad you a bit.

What size drive chain are you using on the TransAm?

And what sprockets on the front and rear?

[/hijack]

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Now let's answer your question:
          Originally posted by 67camaro View Post
          Does anyone know what the final drive ratios are for a 650 and 850 shaft drive?
          Here are the ratios in the various drive trains:

......... Primary .... Secondary ................. Final
          Bike .. Reduction .. Reduction .. 5th gear .. Drive
          650 ... 1.775 ........ 0.941 ....... 1.000 ..... 3.09
          850 ... 1.775 ........ 1.062 ....... 0.961 ..... 3.09
          1000 ... 1.775 ....... 0.941 ....... 0.961 ..... 3.09
          1100 ... 1.775 ....... 0.941 ....... 0.923 ..... 2.91

If you bother to do the math, you might see that you can save a few hundred RPM at highway speeds, but, as already noted, the final drives from the larger bikes will not bolt onto the 650.

The only other way to "lower the cruising rpm" is to not twist the right grip quite so much.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Or find a higher profile tyre... or a bigger diameter wheel that will fit (I think it's 17" already so prob not an easy task)
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thats pretty much what I figured. Can't fit a taller rear tire on the bike. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by 67camaro View Post
                I searched but couldn't find any info. Does anyone know what the final drive ratios are for a 650 and 850 shaft drive? Or if they can be swapped? I'm looking to lower the cruising rpm on my 650. Thanks for any input.
                I understand (mostly from comments here on GSR) that the 650 is probably the size of GS with the least interchangeable parts with other sizes of GSes.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I never understood why folks want to lower the RPM.....these bikes love to rev, they want to rev, revving is what they do, take 'em up to redline and have some fun......

Sure, it may save a few cents in gas, but, you aren't going to blow it up by cruising at 70mph down the highway.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    I never understood why folks want to lower the RPM.....these bikes love to rev, they want to rev, revving is what they do, take 'em up to redline and have some fun......

Sure, it may save a few cents in gas, but, you aren't going to blow it up by cruising at 70mph down the highway.
                    It's not unique in the GS community, either.

newer GoldWing owners compalin that the bike is turning about 3100 RPM at 70 MPH.

My van only turns about 2100 RPM at 70 MPH. That's why the bikes sound so "busy" when they are singing at 5000+ RPM at 70 MPH.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I added a tooth to my front sprocket last year (15->16) and I love it. Not for the fuel economy, not to keep from revving too high, but because at highway speed it put me in the range where the harmonics made my bars buzz and put my hands to sleep. I wanted to add a bar snake or bar end weights, but my bars are solid and neither was feasible. If I ever go to another bar I will put the sprocket back to stock so I can regain all that low end torque at take off I surrendered.

Comment

Working...
                      X