Clutch Adjustment Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Adjustment Problem

The bike is a '78 GS750C. Was fooling with the clutch adjustment rod attempting to get the handlebar clutch level to engage closer to the grip. The manual calls for the rod to be 1/2 turn out from the point of resistance. Tried moving it out a full turn and then <1/2 turn. To my surprise, after a couple of settings, I no longer had any resistance at the clutch lever. No matter how far the rod was turned in or out, the clutch lever at the handle bar pulled easily to the grip.

So, it appears I have created a non-functional clutch. Any thoughts on how I might "repair" this problem will be appreciated.

I would guess that that something came apart at the actuator, which is under the little panel on the left side cover.

Open that up by taking off the side cover and confirm that the clutch cable is still attached and the ball bearing didn't fall out.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not the problem

This is the area of the bike that was being adjusted. Everything under the cover is connected and moving as it should. There is no resistance at the clutch lever (handlebar) no matter how the rod is adjusted.

Comment

Than it sounds like the cable broke.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cable from handlebar to engine case is fine. Arm inside the engine case moves as it should when clutch lever is pulled.

Problem must be with the rod or further into the clutch.

Comment

Have you done a thorough cleaning of the clutch actuation mechanism? That is the part under the sprocket cover. If not, I suggest the following:
            Remove it and take it all apart. Clean all the grease off the screw mechanism. Be very thorough. Grease lightly and make sure the screw mechanism operates correctly and smoothly. While it is out, also remove the rod which goes into the engine case and check it for straightness. Find a smooth surface (glass works best) and roll it slowly across the surface. Kind of like checking a pool cue. Then reassemble everything and start over.
            Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
            X