Gs550 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Sprockets

Been hearing a noise around the front sprocket, so I took a look today. The PO has a 13T front installed with a 50T rear!!! I think hes an idiot! Glad I caught this now. The large bolt holding back the sprocket is loose and the sprocket has room to slide left to right! No wonder I am hearing noises.

Comment

Well, that would definitely have your RPMs up a bit. Stock for an 80 550E is 15/50. It's not uncommon to go lower in the front on small/mid-size bikes to get some extra rear-wheel power. Must have been trying to pull wheelies. Go get yourself a new sprocket folding washer; they're like $1.50.

Comment

The best part is that the 15T sprocket was in a box of extra parts he gave me. The sprocket is almost like new.

Comment

i have a 13 t front and 51 rear , was just right for a tight twisty track like brands

Comment

Is there an easy way to tighten down that large bolt without turning the entire arm/sprocket?

Comment

Put it in gear and step on the brake.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by ndbaker View Post
                Been hearing a noise around the front sprocket, so I took a look today. The PO has a 13T front installed with a 50T rear!!! I think hes an idiot! Glad I caught this now. The large bolt holding back the sprocket is loose and the sprocket has room to slide left to right! No wonder I am hearing noises.
                i run a 13/50....

I LOVE IT. since this motor loves to rev, the close gearing makes this thing a potent street bike. I dont need 100+mph speeds, i get more satisfaction about get-up-and-go.

and i can still cruise at 75 on the highway n/p.

Comment

550s love to rev as Tom says. Give it some welly and ignore the rev counter, especially the red bit. They run really nicely in the 5 digit zone.
                  Last edited by hampshirehog; 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

took mine to 11,000 every gear change , the noise was spot on

Comment

As others have said 550s love to rev. 5000 at hwy speed is just making it happy, used to run mine up to 10K+ all the time, seemed to make it run better. I miss it for running around town and riding the back roads. Was fun to rev and shift with out the need for triple digit speeds. Still got 45-52 mpg all day long.

Comment

Working...
                      X